My last stats blog post for Second Life and OpenSim was published back in July 2015. I reported that Second Life regions were still declining and that OpenSim regions were increasing.
Not much has changed since then however it’s worth pointing out that Private Estates dropped under the 18, 000 mark since July 2015. If trends continue then the total number of Main Grid regions will drop under the 25, 000 mark within the next three months. Something needs to be done to stop the decline going into the red and for a recovery to start happening sooner than later.
OpenSim seems to be doing rather well this year with new records being regularly in terms of region counts and active users. The Hypergrid is still gaining interest it seems and I would imagine more records will be set before the end of the year. My next report will be the end of December 2015.
Here are the latest numbers for October 2015
As of 20th October 2015
- Total Number of Main Grid regions: 25, 103
- Private Estates: 17, 966
- Linden Owned: 7, 137
- Year to date for private estate net loss: 634 regions = 3.4% down
Second Life Signups
- 43, 634, 454 total signups for Second Life so far
- Average of 10, 000 – 12, 000 new signups everyday for Second Life
As of 15th October 2015
- Now the equivalent of 68, 941 standard regions on 302 active public grids on OpenSim
- 487, 243 registered users
- 33, 454 active users
- InWorldz top for active users: 6, 696
- Virtual Worlds Grid top for region counts: 19, 749
“This month, hypergrid-enabled grids gained a net of 1,820 active users this month, while the closed grids gained 60. Currently, 74 percent of all public grids are on the hypergrid, accounting for 93 percent of OpenSim’s total land area and 65 percent of its active users”.