Happy 14th Birthday Second Life 🙂
Today Second Life officially turned 14 years old and it’s incredible to think how much Second Life has changed since the launch back in June 2003.
The introduction of Windlight, Mesh, Materials, Project Bento, Experience Keys, Place Pages and 360 Snapshots has made Second Life so much better. Thanks Linden Lab 🙂
Check out my History of Second Life page for all things historical 🙂
On the Sansar section on Reddit there have been many new submissions posted in the past week or so which is worth checking out. Sansar_Peter otherwise known as Pete Linden who is the Director of Global Communications in Second Life replied to various submissions giving updates on Sansar. The official start of summer is fast approaching and there is still high interest for Sansar.
Here are some updates that I found most interesting on the upcoming Sansar Creator Beta.
Latest Sansar News – June 2017
- Linden Lab has so far invited a few thousand creators to date and more invites are being sent out now. The plan is to open up Sansar Creator Beta this summer but no specific date has been announced yet. If you are still interested apply at sansar.com.
- There will be upcoming additional PR and asset releases from the lab on Sansar as the launch of Sansar approaches this summer.
- Sansar is not intended to replace Second Life or be a sequel version of it.
- Adult content will not be allowed during the opening of Sansar Creator Beta. The lab wants Sansar to be an open platform that makes it easier to make all kind of experiences.
- Sansar will work on the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and on PCs.
- When Sansar Creator Beta opens there will be many features and functionality still being worked on.
- PBR materials will work with Sansar in the distant future
- The Sansar pricing model is being worked on at the moment. The lab is planning to make it as inexpensive as possible for everyone to create and share their own social VR experiences.
- Sansar has come a long way since the lab invited the first external creators. Sansar will continue to improve and evolve with each new update.
For the latest Reddit Sansar submissions, see here.
At 12pm SLT today the SL14B regions officially opened to the public in Second Life after months of planning. The SL14B regions will now remain open until 3rd July 2017 so there is plenty of time to see everything.
Come over and enjoy the birthday celebrations today! 🙂
Stay updated on the latest SL14B news here.
Yesterday the Second Life press had special access to preview the SL14B sims. The long wait is almost over because the SL14B Community Celebrations officially open to everyone at 12pm SLT today.
At first glance the SL14B regions look really impressive this year. There are 18 SL14B regions to visit and explore. There will be live performances, live DJ events, hunts, pod tours and so much more during the week ahead.
Second Life officially turns 14 years old on 23rd June 2017 and there will be grid wide celebrations.
The annual Second Life birthday is one of my top favourite events to attend. I’m always impressed by the amazing builds, events and great community atmosphere there is.
My first preview snapshots of SL14B.
SL14B Welcome Area
SL14B Cake Stage
SL14B DJ Stage
SL14B Stage Left
SL14B Time Capsule Area
I will be posting more SL14B snapshots on my blog in the days ahead and on my Flickr stream. Stay tuned for that 🙂