My last statistics blog post was published back in March 2015. This is a update on the latest stats for Second Life & OpenSim for July 2015.
Latest News on Second Life Active Users
Recently Ebbe Altberg (Ebbe Linden) was interviewed by Xconomy and Ebbe revealed some new stats on Second Life’s active users a month. Apparently there are more than 213 Linden employee’s Ebbe said. I would imagine this number will much higher in the years to come.
Second Life now hosts about 900,000 active users a month—a bit lower than its peak of about a million years ago. As a private company, Linden Lab doesn’t disclose its revenues. It had raised a total of about $30 million in equity financing by 2006.
Second Life Regions Count Update
Since 17th March 2015 the total number of Main Grid regions have dropped again and private Estates have too. Linden Owned regions have increased a bit since March 2015. See the stats from this time last year.
4th January 2015
- Total Number of Main Grid Regions: 25, 611
- Private Estates: 18, 579
- Linden Owned: 7, 032
17th March 2015
- Total Number of Main Grid Regions: 25, 549
- Private Estates: 18, 535
- Linden Owned: 7, 014
As of 28th June 2015
- Total Number of Main Grid Regions: 25, 364
- Private Estates: 18, 330
- Linden Owned: 7, 034
If rates continue then expect the total number of Main Grids to go under the 25, 000 mark before the summer. Private Estates will go under the 18, 000 mark before the summer if trends continue. I hope this doesn’t happen and I believe things can change for the better.
Second Life Daily Concurrency Update
The Daily Concurrency in Second Life now reaches a high peak of 52, 000 on average with the low peak of 27, 000 on average. The Median Daily Concurrency is reaching the 40, 000 mark at the moment. The Mean Daily Concurrency is reaching 39, 000 at the moment.
As you can tell in the graph below the numbers are declining more and more each year which is very alarming. The daily concurrency numbers were much higher many years ago. It will be interesting to see if the current numbers will decline, stay the same or increase before 2016.
Second Life Signups Update
- Average of 10, 000 – 12, 500 new signups everyday for Second Life
- 42, 522, 204 total signups so far for Second Life since the beginning
OpenSim Stats Update
According to Hypergrid Business latest monthly OpenSim statistics post made on 15th June 2015 regions grow, activity slows on OpenSim grids.
OpenSim’s land area hit a new high this month and more than 9,000 new users registered on the grids, but active user numbers slipped by 672 as we enter the summer months.
Summary of the latest stats from OpenSim
- 9, 000 new users registered on registered grids
- Active users dropped by 672
- OpenSim grids increased by 1, 733
- New total of 62, 995 regions
- 31, 397 active users – 672 less than the previous month
- InWorldz (7, 630), OSgrid (3, 488), Metropolis (3, 182) and Craft World (1, 085) are the most popular active user grids
- Virtual Worlds Grid (19, 636), OSgrid (9, 633), Kitely (8, 075) and Metropolis (7, 324) have the most regions
- Hypergrid now accounts for 62% of all active users, closed grids counts for 38%. InWorldz has 24% of all active users with closed grids having 14% of the active user base
My next stats post will be published in September 2015 then a year look back in late December 2015.