AvaCon announced last month that the eighth annual OpenSimulator Community Conference will be held on 5th-6th December 2020. The conference will take place on the OpenSim Conference Grid and everyone is invited to attend. The main focus will be on OpenSimulator software and OpenSim development.
Registration is open for volunteers and other roles however tickets to the conference are limited. If you are interested in OpenSim then this may interest you. I have been to a few OpenSim conferences in the past and I found them to be very good indeed.
Hypergrid Address: http://cc.opensimulator.org:8002/
The OpenSimulator Community Conference 2020 features two days of fast-paced presentations, panels, performances, and workshops that spotlight the best of the OpenSimulator platform and community. In the evenings, we celebrate another year of discovery and wonder as DJs and performers host dances and parties.
More details at https://conference.opensimulator.org/
On Tuesday 28th July 2020 the Firestorm team released a EEP public beta version of the Firestorm Viewer (18.104.22.168799) which comes with support for the Environment Enhancement Project (EEP). The viewer includes new camera controls with the ability to create camera presents. The viewer translations have been updated in this beta version.
EEP is the new environmental lighting system where the sky, water and day cycle settings are now saved as inventory items. EEP settings can be applied now to the land by region owners or by parcel or for personal use. Learn more about EEP here.
What you can do with EEP…
You can use your own sun, moon, and cloud textures.
You can customize the length of the day (yes—you can now have 24-hour day cycles!).
You can set different skies at various levels on your land.
Visitors to your parcel will be able to see all your customized settings.
You can import your old Windlights as EEP settings (many have already been imported).
This version is not a required update and you do not have to uninstall your current Firestorm viewer. This new beta Firestorm viewer will install alongside your existing Firestorm viewer.
For OpenSim users the viewer incorporates Windlight allowing EEP viewer users to visit windlight regions. The viewer supports the new OpenSim 0.9.2 with the EEP code “Ugly Sky”. There is now the ability to enter a URL to add a new grid on the login screen.
Linden Lab is hoping to get feedback from the community and the Firstorm team highly encourages you to file bug reports on the Linden Lab Jira. EEP has been in the works for some time now and it went live back in 2019 on the main grid.
The Second Life viewer has actually had EEP for a few months or so now. The firestorm team have said recently that they don’t feel that EEP is ready for full release. It has not even passed the QA yet. Maybe later this year EEP may be ready for full release.
What do you think of this new beta version ? Let me know in the comments section below.
Tenth Annual OpenSim Grid Survey Open
Maria Korolov has opened up the Tenth Annual OpenSim Grid Survey where everyone can vote for their favourite OpenSim grid. The survey includes the top 15 most popular OpenSim grids from the latest monthly stats report. This helps “the community improve, and help give newcomers to OpenSim some ideas for places to explore!”.
It’s strongly recommended to vote once for the OpenSim grid that you spend the most time on during the week. If you have any feedback for any OpenSim grid then this is a great opportunity to put something down. The deadline for submissions is midnight (SLT) on Sunday 27th October 2019. The results will be published on Monday 28th October 2019.
Latest OpenSim News – October 2019
OpenSim Land Area Increased This Month – Link
- Went up by 3, 300 regions this month
- Largest growth recorded on OSgrid which gained more than 1, 500 regions
- Total OpenSim land area this month was the equivalent of 81, 866 standard regions.
- The public grids also reported a total of 394, 885 registered users and 35, 716 active users.
Sixth Annual Tangle Grid Halloween Expo (continues until 19th November) – Link
Tag Marketplace Gaining Fast On Kitely’s – Link
- Tag Grid merchants added 4, 058 new item listings, while Kitely merchants added 2, 289.
- Kitely is still in the lead with a total of 32, 449 different items, compared to Tag’s 21, 566.
2019 OpenSim Conference Seeks Presenters – Link
- Visit the OSCC’s Call for Proposals page and fill out the form
- This year’s conference will focus on visions of the future and the evolution of the platform.
- It will take place on December 14 and 15 and will include presentations about creative, educational, technical, and experiential topics.
- Each speaker session will be 20 minutes long.
- The conference will also feature community-sponsored tours, an Expo, content give-aways and hypergrid exploration.
OSCC19 Conference Key Dates
- November 3, 2019 – Proposals are due by 11:59 PM PST (Pacific Standard Time).
- November 10, 2019 – Proposal acceptance emails and with conference information.
- November 17, 2019 – Accepted speakers must register for the conference to create an entry in the conference schedule and the program.
- November 23, 2019 – Speaker Orientation & Training sessions and Presenter Booth Setup to prepare speakers for the conference.
- December 3, 2019 – Deadline for stage props and audio-visuals (beyond textures) for the conference program.
- December 14-15, 2019 – OSCC19 Conference dates!