On Wednesday 10th March Patch Linden VP of Product Operations talked with Saffia Widdershins at this year’s RFL Home & Garden Expo 2021 about Linden Homes and much more. The special talk session duration lasts for 1 hour / 22 minutes / 40 seconds and you can watch the full video above for the latest updates.
Patch Linden talked about his work at the lab including testing on the user experience flows (news later this year), Linden Homes (three new themes being worked on), the old Linden Homes and much more. It’s a really interesting interview with some sneak hints on whats coming next from Patch. There was mention about the process and issues on Second Life moving into the cloud.
For those that don’t know the Bellisseria continent is almost connected with the south west part of the Satori continent which is a huge development for Second Life. I can’t wait for the day when its officially connected so everyone can travel between the two continents. See my previous blog post for the latest map developments. This latest batch of new regions will increase the overall main grid region (Linden owned) count later this week.
Linden Homes Newer Updates…
- The next Linden Home theme after Chalets will be previewed at SL18B and most likely be released once the birthday is over. This new theme will blow your socks off and will have unique capabilities according to Patch
- Chalet homes probably be released in a couple of weeks time (on map the lab have almost connected the continents)
- Patch’s goal is to have all of the Linden Home themes released by the end of the year (if everything goes smoothly)
- Passport system will be launching soon for Bellisseria (passport stamping kiosks with custom stamps like get your passport and discover (driver license etc)
Moving To The Cloud
- Philip Rosedale last worked on the maps system / fix still being worked on since the uplift last year
- Fixes are going to take time for the various Second Life issues
- Web search has been a challenge / constant battle with the technology
- Group chats deploy fix coming soon / most teleporting issues have been solved
- The lab has a health dashboard to see the latest stats for teleportation (if above 95% = success rate), region crossings and more
- Report issues via the Second Life Jira
- 2020 Relay For Life & Fantasy Faire raised alot last year according to Saffia
- Premium Plus was not the right time to launch last year
- Having a platform like Second Life the lab cannot be ignored
- The lab uses Zoom internally etc for video chat meetings
Around the hour mark the session went from normal chat discussion to Q&As.
- Demo region for Chalets is down
- Second Life could integrate Philip Rosedale latest project with spatial audio
- Make Second Life a web based application – the lab are looking at something according to Patch
- No word on when the Second Life Mobile app is coming
- VR maybe further down the road for Second Life
- Extra styles for traditional homes on the roadmap
- Premium Plus (larger parcels and homes) / land impacts / land impact bonus possible – no idea on when yet
- Tier land cost increases – not on the roadmap
- Check/organize Inventory on the Second Life website – it’s possible and a sizeable project to do
Thanks to the Lindens and the Moles for making Second Life better. Yay! 🙂