Late last night Ebbe Linden CEO of Linden Lab attended this year’s 9th Annual Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Conference in Second Life. The recorded video runs for 58 minutes with new updates on Second Life and Project Sansar. Ebbe answered many questions during the session along with follow up questions.
I missed the live session yesterday due to it being so late for the UK but the good news is that the full recorded video is now available for those that missed Ebbe Linden live speech.
Here are the bits I found most interesting from watching the recording today. I did notice there was fewer audience members in the crowd this year compared with previous VWBPE conferences for Ebbe. I would imagine this is due to the bad timing of the session or perhaps it’s because interest has dropped for some reason.
- Second Life performance is continuing improving, quality and stability is improving
- Linden Lab are working on new avatars, new web on prim
- In the pipeline: improved registration api coming, improving the time to redeem money
- Linden Lab are working on a Oculus Viewer working with Second Life & Graphics Viewer
- Community Gateway Program is proceeding, unknown for ship date, work to be done with registation api. Progress is going well and some have had beta access. The lab are doing simple contracts.
- Ebbe says he doesn’t know when he will remake his avatar or making bears for people
- Now over two years into Project Sansar
- Since August 2015 there have been a handful of users working on it
- The lab are focused on creators for the rest of the year
- May or June for the lab to start accepting applications (hundreds of creators/users by the end of the year)
- General availability at the end of the year
- Second Life and Project Sansar are separate products
- Invitation only and the lab have hand picked skilled/experienced users
- In May or June people can request entry online
- Age range will be 13+
- There will be content ratings (adult content) at some point in the near future
- Project Sansar will be made for PCs, Windows, Oculus & the Vive
- Mobile versions Project Sansar planned for Android and Apple IOS (2017+) – Streaming version solutions being worked on. Mac support later on.
- Goal to be crossed platform for Project Sansar
- Project Sansar money exchange may be launched. Transfer between SL and Project Sansar.
- From June 2016 people can sign up to Project Sansar and the lab will pick experienced/skilled users
- Third party tools will be supported, common file formats will be used, layer tools, original content tools over time
- Still pictures of Project Sansar released during the last few months showing what’s possible
- Project Sansar is still work in progress, still looking for answers in some areas
- Between now and June 2016 the lab will be revealing more of Project Sansar in action and more pictures
- Q3 more will be revealed then more over the months after
Special thanks to Mal Burns for uploading the recording. 🙂
4 thoughts on “Ebbe Linden speech at VWBPE 2016 recording now available”
There were actually 4 sims, one had almost 60 participants, another had almost 40, the 3rd one had about 30, and the last had almost 12, I think they only panned one sim, it was well attended
Reblogged this on ZZ Bottom misadventures in Virtual Worlds! and commented:
waiting for the next Ceo to step in.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Only interests me the Sl part, And on that i would like to ear Ebbe speaking on latest accounts banns issues and so on, guess he does not even know about that, does he?
Waiting for next CEO and hoping not too many resources were wasted on Sansar.
LikeLiked by 1 person