FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Formation of Team Diabetes of Second Life
We are pleased to announce the formation of Team Diabetes of Second Life! Team Diabetes of Second Life is an official and authorized team of The American Diabetes Association. The mission of Team Diabetes of Second Life is to raise awareness, tolerance, and funds for diabetes in the virtual world of Second Life.
According to the World Health Organization, in 2014, diabetes was estimated to be among 9% of all adults (18 and up) worldwide and by 2030, diabetes will be the 7th leading cause of death.
Team Diabetes of Second Life was founded by Jessii2009 Warrhol and Johannes1977 Resident. The organization will function in the form of an advisory board, with a coordinator leading the Team Diabetes of Second Life effort. The 2015 Team Diabetes of Second Life Coordinator is Jessii2009 Warrhol and the 2015 Team Diabetes of Second Life Advisory Board Members are: Johannes1977 Resident, Emma Portilo, Veruca Tammas, Sandie Loxingly, Rob Fenwitch, and Earth Nirvana. Saiyge Lotus is a special advisor to the advisory board.
The official Team Diabetes of Second Life season will take place from November 2015 to February 2016, with the following events planned:
- Off Season Event – October 1 to October 15, 2015 – Fall Second Life Showcase
- Official Season – November 1 2015 to February 15, 2015
- November 1 – Team Diabetes of Second Life Season Begins
- Entire Month of November – National Diabetes Month
- Entire Month of November – Team Diabetes Red Hunt
- November 4 to 14 – Art in Hats
- December 1 to 15 – Winter Second Life Showcase
- December 1 to 30 – Windlight Magazine’s Art Showcase
- January 2016 – TBD – Tour de SL Bike Race
- February 2016 – Team Diabetes Heart Ball
In addition to the events mentioned above, individuals, businesses, and organizations are encouraged to hold fundraising events in support of Team Diabetes of Second Life! An official fundraising toolkit will be available to the Second Life Public on September 1, 2015 at the organization’s office in Nonprofit Commons.
About The American Diabetes Association:
The American Diabetes Association’s mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. The American Diabetes Association leads the fight against the deadly consequences of diabetes and fights for those affected by diabetes by funding research to prevent, cure, and manage diabetes.
The American Diabetes Association delivers services to hundreds of communities and provides objective and credible information and resources about diabetes.
Free resources are available in English and Spanish at http://www.diabetes.org and 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383).
The American Diabetes Association is currently celebrating its 75th year in existence! For the 75th anniversary, the American Diabetes Association is honoring decades of progress in diabetes treatment, management and quality of life, and our role in these advancements.
– See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/about-us/75th-anniversary
For More Information:
- http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?px=11304578&pg=personal&fr_id=10000 (Official Team Diabetes of SL American Diabetes Association Online Page)
- http://www.idf.org/membership/meet-our-members (website to find international assistance with diabetes research, prevention, and general information)