On 17th February 2013 a new post called Metrics for Adoption of Mesh Viewers on SLUniverse Forums asking about the most recent stats for mesh capable viewer usage. According to the responses in the forum post it seems like the mesh adoption rate seems to be >97.1% at the moment. I think by the end of 2013 mesh adoption rate should be reaching 99%/100%. Surely the 3% of SL users using non-mesh viewers will switch over at some point right during 2013 or 2014?.
A new graph shows the adoption rate of Mesh from July 2011 through to late January 2013 which is very interesting indeed. Graph created by Kadah Coba.
- 1% in July 2011
- 50% during November 2011
- 95% during October 2012
- 97.1% as of 2013-02-10.
Mesh viewers list
- SL official viewer (all V3 viewers)
- Firestorm viewer
- Cool VL
- And many more!
It seems the lab are releasing small mesh usage metrics during weekly Mesh user group meetings on Mondays at 12pm SLT. Charlar Linden normally mentions some mesh metrics during the last quarter of the user group meetings. The trend still continues to be on the rise in mesh usage on the grid which is good to see happening.
Here are the mesh usage metrics mentioned this week.
- [12:38] Charlar Linden: Hey, want some metrics?
- [12:39] Charlar Linden: current stats for usage of modern viewers:
- [12:39] Charlar Linden: Residents – over 70%
- [12:40] Charlar Linden: Also, as far as uploading mesh, we’ve topped the previous high back in August – For the past two weeks we’ve averaged well over 1400 objects uploaded a day onto the maingrid.
- [12:41] Charlar Linden: “modern” supports mesh, as well as most other newer features.
- [12:42] Charlar Linden: Davido – that’s the average number of mesh objects uploaded each day.
- [12:45] Charlar Linden: 1540 on the day after we released mesh
- [12:46] Charlar Linden: As with all metrics, you really have to consider the context
- [12:46] Charlar Linden: these are things created and uploaded. They could have been used inworld 100 times after that.
- [12:47] Charlar Linden: What is means to me is that people are uploading more and more stuff; might be for resale, or for their own use.
- [12:49] Charlar Linden: Kaiser- over the past month we’ve *roughly* increased from about 1000 a day to about 1500 a day. It’s still continuing on that trend.
6th February 2012: Mesh regions are now at over 29% of the grid. Mesh went live last August and currently the mesh region adoption rate continues to rise. Don’t forget to upload mesh snapshots from Second Life to Second Life 3D Mesh Flickr group.
Update 3 will be posted next week. 🙂
During today’s Content Creation/Mesh Import User Group meeting Charlar Linden released some new Mesh metrics which was really interesting. This user group meeting takes place every Monday at 12pm SLT at Borrowdale on AGNI.
From the meeting transcript…
- [12:41] Charlar Linden: relating to viewers supporting mesh…
- [12:41] Charlar Linden: 70% of residents
- [12:47] Charlar Linden: Recently our total uploaded items surpassed our previous high, back in August. It’s been on an upward trend since the beginning of December.
- [12:47] Charlar Linden: on a daily basis
- [12:47] Charlar Linden: 28% of regions have mesh on them.
From 16% in December 2011 to 28% in January 2012 it shows that the Mesh adoption rate is on the rise which encouraging and interesting. I guess more and more are switching to mesh capable viewers and uploading mesh items.
Mesh adoption on the grid so far this month…
- 22% – 10th January 2012
- 25%– 17th January 2012
- 28% – 30th January 2012
Yay. Hopefully the this Mesh adoption trend will go up higher in 2012 & 2013+.
This is update 2 on viewers that now support mesh for Second Life. Mesh has already changed the look of Second Life drastically and the rate seems to be speeding up. I have been impressed with mesh builds so far on the grid and it’s definitely worth creating mesh objects.
- Do you love/dislike Mesh?
- How are you finding the experience so far?
I have noticed alot of discussion lately about friends inworld experimenting and creating mesh clothing. It’s great to see new mesh creations in Second Life however there are still concerns that need to be addressed with this.
List of TPVs that have mesh support:
The official Linden Lab Viewer 3 supports mesh and it won’t be long until other TPVs will support mesh as well. Can’t wait!