VWBPE 2017 ended on 1st April in Second Life and for anyone that missed any of the key speeches then here is another chance to watch them again. This year was a special because it was the tenth anniversary of the annual conference. Well done to all the organizers, speakers, volunteers, mentors, the technical team and everyone who made the conference work smoothly.
Ebbe Linden – Above the Book: A Conversation about Education and Second Life
Legacy Panel: A Look Back at the Inworld Conference
Draxtor Despres – Above the Book: Will VR Matter in Education ?
John Lester – Beyond Escapism in Virtual Worlds
For more conference videos please visit the official VWBPE YouTube channel for the latest key speeches.
On Wednesday 29th March 2017 Ebbe Altberg (Ebbe Linden) CEO of Linden Lab had a hour long conversation with Kevin Feenan at the 10th annual VWBPE conference about education in Second Life and the education possibilities that could happen in Sansar.
It was a really interesting conversation between Ebbe and Kevin. There wasn’t any major announcements made during the interview. However it was more general this year with a variety of talking subjects.
Ebbe did stay after the conversation to answer questions from the audience. The audience for this special event was very limited this year with some empty seats. Most were watching from other places around the VWBPE regions / the Second Life grid and via online streams.
Here are the highlights that interested me most from Ebbe Linden conversation
- Sansar will be another platform to explore
- Sansar will enable you to do things you cant do in Second Life
- Sansar and Second Life are two different separate products
- Cross platform is something the lab are working on
- The cost of simulators will be cheaper and will be affordable
- Sansar is a gamble and there is alot of work yet to be done
- Ebbe is focused more about Sansar now
- Second Life is the most successful virtual world ever made to this day
- The lab are working on making SLURLs work better
- Place Pages have just launched to make it easier to discover incredible user created SL experiences
- Second Life is a successful product and profitable product
- There are two 100% dedicated teams working on Second Life and Sansar. Ebbe wants two successful stories instead of just one.
New Second Life Features
- Place Pages have now been released and now they can be customized
- A 64-bit viewer could be launched within a month or two. The 64-bit viewer will improve the performance and stability with longer address spaces
- The crash rate in Second Life is way too high
Lower Land Prices
- The lab have tried to do things to lower land prices overtime
- Land is too expensive and Ebbe would love land costs to come down. The lab would have to figure out a way to collect money from elsewhere and still make Second Life grow
It’s worth watching the full video of the conversation to hear more from Ebbe. It was good to hear the latest updates on Second Life, Sansar and education in general this year.
VWBPE 2017 Main Auditorium
The 10th annual VWBPE conference officially opens today from 11am SLT/PDT in Second Life through until 1st April 2017. There will be educational presentations, demonstrations, workshops, social events and much more happening every day.
The tenth anniversary of VWBPE is going to be awesome from start to end. The VWBPE regions this year have been completely been revamped and look amazing.
VWBPE 2017 SLURLS
VWBPE 2017 Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Starts at 11am SLT
VWBPE 2017 Regions Map
Here are my first preview snapshots of VWBPE 2017 regions
VWBPE 2017 Regions Map
VWBPE 2017 Gateway
VWBPE 2017 Legacy Area
VWBPE 2017 Lecture Area A
VWBPE 2017 Quadrivium
For more info visit vwbpe.org
10th annual conference starts next week
The VWBPE 2017 conference officially opens next week on Wednesday 29th March through until Saturday 1st April 2017 in Second Life. The theme for this year is Legacy and it’s worth mentioning this will be the 10th anniversary of the annual conference.
VWBPE 2017 is a free to attend event and here are some of the exciting speeches ahead.
- Ebbe Altberg will be attending this year and will be giving a speech about education and Second Life at 1pm SLT on Wednesday 29th March
- Draxtor Despress will be giving a speech about VR and education at 3pm SLT on Saturday 1st April
- John Lester will be giving a speech about virtual worlds at 4pm SLT on Saturday 1st April
- Check out the VWBPE 2017 Calendar for all of the sessions ahead.
These sessions will be in a private region. To get your invitation to attend you need to submit a question for our guests. Start thinking about what to ask! Questions must be submitted no later than Sunday March 26 at 11:59pm PST (extended from original March 20th deadline).
Want to bring a friend? Starting March 21st, the Rockcliffe Registration Portal will be open for people to register new avatars and find out more about the VWBPE conference in-world. Invite your friends to go to https://urockcliffe.com/reg/second-life/ and follow the easy instructions to get started. We suggest that they come a day or two early to get oriented, so they don’t miss any part of the conference.