This week Linden Lab announced fifteen reasons to celebrate Second Life 15th birthday which takes place in mid June 2018. On the list there was mention about the return of last names which is expected to go live in late 2018. Before then there are many things that have to be fixed on the back-end before last names can return again.
- Apparently the plan is to allow people to change their first and last name whenever they want to. Users will be able to select their last name from a pre-set list of available names like the old system before
- Unicode will not be supported when entering a first name
- Once a name is used it cannot ever be reused again
- The first and last name will not replace Display Names
- The pre-set list with last names will regularly be changed to keep the fresh and the lab are thinking about last name suggestions from the Second Life community later this year.
- There will be a cost to change your name if you wish to do that. The fee costs have not been confirmed yet