Farewell Avination Grid
According to Hypergrid Business latest blog post Avination Grid has officially shut down on OpenSim which is very sad news to hear about. Apparently the grid and company behind it has officially shut down after a series of financial problems in recent years.
Melanie Thielker who the owner of Avination Grid has confirmed the following:
- “The grid’s regions and user inventories are saved, but residents will lose any money they had in in-world currency“,
- “Now, that effort is over, the company is shut down, and the brand is too damaged to try to recover it,”
- “We allowed the company to lapse because of the damage to the name Avination“
- “We will shortly be able to provide avatars, inventories and regions from Avination in a new framework not called Avination.”
- “I’d like for people to have some assurance that the stuff is not lost,“
- “Since Avination is bankrupt and dissolved, there is no money there to pay out,“
3rd Avination Birthday Celebrations – September 2013
I first joined Avination on 17th January 2012 and since then I’ve blogged about the Avination grid from community events, big news stories, grid improvements and much more. Back then there were 592 regions, 43, 787 registered users with 3, 226 unique logins (past 30 days). The Avination viewer was 54.9MB in size back then running version 1.5.8.
On the Avination login screen updated recently in 2017 there are 81, 424 registered users, 492 regions with 399 unique logins (past 30 days). These screenshots are from my first day when I arrived at the welcome area of Avination.
Login Stats – 17th January 2012
Tutorial Island – 17th January 2012
My First Day back on 17th January 2012
It’s a real shame this is the end of Avination now and this is a huge loss for the OpenSim community moving forward I think.
Me in Avination – 2016
On Friday 13th March Hypergrid Business posted a blog post on Linden Lab restricting the use of Linden Dollars in other virtual worlds. The transfer of Linden Dollars to Avination grid is no longer available apparently including payment for Avination regions via the Avination ATMs across the grid. This is really bad news for the Avination community and this will effect them deeply. The talks between the Avination management team and Linden Lab have broken down.
I gather from this now that the current use of Linden Dollars will now be restricted to just Second Life. Other opensim grids/virtual worlds will have to come up with other ways around this issue if not already.
I received this email today about the cut in transfer of Linden Dollars to other virtual worlds.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Avination required to stop transfer of Linden Dollars. Linden Lab cut transfer of Linden Dollars to other virtual worlds.
Due to recent interaction with Linden Labs, we regret having to inform you
that the transfer of Linden Dollars to Avination is no longer available,
including the payment of your Avination sims via the Avination ATMs.
Following discussions with Linden Labs they have advised that any use of
Linden Dollars in payment for currency of ANY other virtual world, or for
external services which are not used in SecondLife ™ is in violation of the
Avination Management has attempted to discuss this matter with Linden Labs by
reiterating the importance of this option as well as trying to understand how
this is a violation of TOS, but unfortunately these talks have since broken
Linden Labs’ Lawyers are adamant that these TOS clearly state that Linden
Dollars cannot be transferred. This stance will not just affect us as at Avination but could also see far reaching consequences for other companies considering legal use of L$, including services like Shoutcast Stream Rentals and other services rendered outside of SecondLife.
Unfortunately, for our loyal users and us this means an end to offering a fast
and convenient way of exchanging Linden Dollars to C$. According to Linden Labs, users of SecondLife must cash out through LindeX before using the real currency to pay for services not rendered within SL.
We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause you and please accept we
have tried everything in our power to reach an amicable solution with Linden
What do you think about Linden Lab restricting use of the Linden dollar in other virtual worlds ?
Avination grid will be celebrating it;s fourth birthday from Friday 12th September until Sunday 14th September 2014. There will be live entertainment, live DJs and much more. Visit the AVN4B sims on the Map to see the amazing exhibits and enjoy with friends.
See the full event schedule and lineup below for AVN4B.
Friday 12th September
- 10am – 12pm DJane Kirsten (Gothicbunker Aachen) – Warmup with Gothic and Hardrock
- 12pm – 1pm Digital Deception – live
- 1pm – 2pm Pingout Duffield – live country, rock and pop music
- 2pm – 3pm Nance Brody – live
Saturday 13th September
- 8am – 10am Fashion show at AVN4B – new and unusual styles for modern people
- 10am – 11am Babba Ballyhoo – live – unusual and unique, Cologne Folk Music
- 11am – 12pm AriangelS – live
- 12pm – 1pm DJane Florchen – live – charts, mixed and pop
- 1pm – 2pm DJane Melanie – live – Progressive House, Trance
- 2pm – 3pm Torben Asp – live – unique fusion of electronic music and lights…
Sunday 14th September
- 11am – 1pm DJane Kirsten – live – charts
- 1pm – 2pm Dubliners – live show
- 2pm – open end DJ Menny Italian – music mix
Grid Stats as of 22nd August 2014
- Total users: 71, 889
- Unique last 30 days: 2, 135
- Total regions: 665
- Online users: 50
Avination grid team announced new details on the official Avination Blog on 30th January that the first community meeting of 2014 will be held on Sunday 2nd February at 12pm AVN time (9pm CET/8pm GMT/12pm PST) when the Civic Center doors open.
Topics to be discussed at the meeting…
- New script engine & the possibility of problems from the upgrade & possible solutions
- Problem reporting (sending useful information to developers/fixing problems fast)
- Opportunities to advertise events and much more
Visit the official Avination homepage to discover more about the grid.