During this month’s Web User Group meeting hosted by Keira Linden there was more details given out about the status of the iOS version of the Second Life app. Linden Lab recently submitted a new version to Apple and it’s been finally been accepted by Apple after months of on-going issues to get it approved.
Keira Linden talks about this around the 10 minute mark onwards during the meeting which can be watched again in full below. The lab are focused on the iOS Second Life mobile app which will be a chat app mostly. It will be a good way of keeping touch with friends inworld without having to be logged into Second Life. The lab are still working on the Android version which is still in development.
The lab are working on a whole set of new features into it and soon it will be on the Apple Store. There are around 40-50 users that have the iOS version of the Second Life app and more wide spread testing is still needed yet.
Apparently those that use the iOS version of the Second Life app will be logged into new dedicated “SL Mobile” regions which will be primary be used for communications like IM/Group Chat. These SL Mobile regions will not be open to everyone unless they are using the SL Mobile app. Those that log into the SL Mobile regions won’t be able to see their avatar appearance and there won’t be local chat within regions as everything will be done via Direct IM at first. Over time more functionality like 3D view will be added way down the line on the roadmap and hopefully it will reach a point where most of the Second Life community can use it.
IOS SL Mobile App Status Check
- 3D View – To be confirmed later down the road
- Direct IM – Available (limited)
- Localized Chat – Only Direct IM at this point in time
- Inworld Presence – Available (limited)
- Group Chat – Coming Soon (couple of releases down the track)
- Notecards: Can’t see notecards or inventory
- Search: Will be available
- Chat Rooms – A certain amount of friends allowed in a room (being looked at)
- List Of People In Region – Not available
- User Concurrency: No numbers yet on concurrency users
There were many topics mentioned in this month’s meeting from marketplace improvements, the new user experience, search, last names and more. Here is a quick brief of the important new updates…
- The new Welcome Islands are now undergoing A/B testing along with the existing Learning Islands / Social Islands. The Welcome Back Island is open for the public to look around.
- A new Search project to do with functions may be released later in 2021 or 2022
- The Premium SL Birthday themed Last Names will be removed soon and will be replaced with a new selection of Last Names in the next few weeks. There will be Halloween Last Names coming in the Autumn months.
- As mentioned in this blog post the iOS version has been accepted by Apple
- The lab have started work on updating the Second Life Marketplace with the new Second Life blue logo
- The World API has been worked on to make it faster
The web user meeting runs for 1 hour.
The next Web User Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 4th August 2021 at 2pm SLT over in the Denby region in Second Life.