For anyone that have missed Grumpity Linden Meet The Lindens 2021 session at SL18B then here is a summary below. Don’t forget to check out the SL18B Birthday Calendar for great upcoming events.
On Wednesday 23rd June Grumpity Linden talked with Saffia Widdershins at the SL18B Auditorium about a variety of interesting topics. These included the roadmap for the next 12 months, open source viewer development, SL Mobile and more. Grumpity is the vice president of product and the interim vice president of engineering at the lab. She became a full time Linden in 2014 and now she is apart of the Second Life product team (UI design and layout).
Grumpity talked about Ebbe Altberg who sadly passed away recently and how the team has worked well since Oz Linden departure earlier this year. She talks about how the AWS transition work went smoothly and the advantages that it brings. The move is to ensure the longevity of Second Life.
Grumpity then went on to the roadmap for the next 12 months. She mentions that there will be experiment’s taking place on the simulator side of things. There will be potential in the near future for new land product offerings. The lab will continue to work on open-source development for the viewer. The beta version of the Second Life Mobile communications app for iOS should be ready soon for release. The Android version is still in development which will be released much later.
There was some new SL usage metrics mentioned after the hour mark. Grumpity said that Metrics and infographics tend to be given to journalists. The average daily concurrency averages 40, 000 with the peak concurrency normally hits 55, 000. The daily active users is approx 200, 000 in Second Life. There was mention about the account limits where Grumpity pointed out that there is no longer any limit on how many accounts any one can have.
Run Time: 1 hour / 26 minutes / 50 seconds
On Thursday 24th June Brett Linden talked with Saffia Widdershins at the SL18B Auditorium. Here are some things to mention. Brett is the vice president of marketing in terms of communication and publicity. It’s worth a watch if you have a few hours spare. Brett Linden started with Second Life in July 2007.
A brief summary…
- The pandemic has been tough for lab employees / significant spike in user registrations and user concurrency last year during first wave / it’s been a crazy year
- The new user experience surveys have been done to improve the overall experiences
- Alot of great partnerships made during the past year (NFL Alumni, Adult Swim Partnership & Titmouse). A few more partnerships coming in later summer 2021 / it’s a year of experiments
- Share feedback for the Marketing team to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In two years Brett hopes that Second Life is more accessible in the early stages to the wow moment
- Bellisseria development success 1. having a Linden home & 2. sense of community
- The marketing team is fixed in the US / primary office based in the US / moles are adding to the overall picture
- Linden Lab promote / work with Facebook – Brett would love that / risk of Facebook removing pages / accounts
- Long term plan after the pandemic – hope that those in Second Life stay & the lab are testing alot of win back ways for returning residents
- Twitch – Streaming from Second Life – on-going discussion with Twitch to resolve the issue / Second Life is on the restriction list / concern about the adult content being streamed
- Data plays a big part of marketing for Second Life / some data points not shared for statistics / there is a fair amount of public statistics out there
- Over 70 million registered accounts, 200, 000 users across 200 countries (average daily usage), GDP/US $600 million and over $80 million US in creator cash-outs
Run Time: 2 hours / 50 seconds
Meet the Moles live session at starts today at 1pm SLT over at the SL18B Auditorium. Stay tuned for more updates soon.
One thought on “Meet The Lindens At SL18B: Grumpity Linden & Brett Linden”