On Tuesday 22nd June 2021 Patch Linden (Vice President of Product Operations) appeared on the first Meet the Lindens talks at SL18B interviewed by Saffia Widdershins. The episode runs for almost 2 hours full of interesting discussion about Second Life, Linden Lab and current projects.
The main key points from the session…
- Ebbe Altberg meant a lot to Patch. He was always fun to work with
- The new Fantasy Linden Home theme will be released “soon” with the ability to choose from homes with open plans or with rooms. The Fantasy release will be on a sub-continent that will be part of the Bellisseria continent. There will be seasonal cycles and there will be at least 3 more themes to be announced
- There has been no work yet on retiring the old Linden homes
- The Moles are building the next two LH themes (one is in almost continent complete and the other one is coming along)
- There will be a new user experience soon (within weeks) with a new region layout with new tutorials, new viewer and web based support
- New starter avatars are being considered as the default new starter avatar (mesh/bento/bakes on mesh ready) & Ruth toggle between V1/V2
- There have been increases in the LindeX and GDP
- Linden Lab support have been enjoying the general turn around time for issues, enquiries and the satisfaction rate
Roadmap for the next 12 months…
- Expansion work for Linden Homes including “V2” home type (the surprise)
- New avatar work and the new user experience
- A new possible game (mid-late next year)
- New land products and new land prices possible
After 1 hour and 16 minutes the talk turns into a Q&A session which is worth a listen for anyone that has not watched this session yet. Some interesting things to mention here…
- The Tapestry of Time region – The lab updates it yearly to come back with the annual birthdays. Bear Island makes a return every five years.
- More groups – At some point
- Underwater Linden Homes – Don’t know if the lab will tackle it
- Adding Linden Homes to Zindra – Adult Linden Homes could be something to consider and think about
- AWS – Performance gains, region border crossings much improved and there has been alot of upside to it
- Barrier of content creation – Something the lab should tackle (3D Modelling etc)
- Linden Lab railway across continents – Possible expansion of SLRR
- Bellisseria airports – The lab do drop one here and there
- Option for faster download speeds in the viewer / option for texture cache – Probably
- Higher level premium – Premium Plus put on hold / No plans for move forward with it
- Disney world regions – Would love to do it / It would be a significant partnership
- Mermaid aquatic avatars for new starter avatars – Possible after the coming new starter avatars
- More Prims – Have to look at testing it at Linden Homes and Private Estate offerings etc
- Second Life in 18 years time – Patch sees it much larger, potentially being part of vernacular and regularly talked about. On all sorts of devices in 18 years everywhere we go. The sky’s the limit for us and Patch hopes to take it there.
The Meet the Lindens series continues until Friday 25th June 2021 with a variety of well known Linden/Moles. Stay tuned.