In recent months Linden Lab have been pretty quiet on the Second Life mobile development for anything to do with the iOS and Android versions of it. There are Second Life web user group meetings which are normally held on the first Wednesday of the month from 2pm SLT to 3pm SLT located at Denby.
The Web User Group meeting is a public monthly meeting used for discussion of issues around the Marketplace, Profiles, Place Pages, Search and Mobile related updates.
Upcoming Web User Group Meetings
- Wednesday, May 5th, 2021
- Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021
- Wednesday, July 7th, 2021
- Wednesday, August 4th, 2021
- Wednesday, September 1st, 2021
- Wednesday, October 6th, 2021
- Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021
- Wednesday, December 1st, 2021
Linden Lab are focused on the non-graphical aspects for a Second Life mobile viewer like IM, group chat, friendship management and more. I believe there is still NDA for those that are working/testing the iOS and Android versions at the moment.
Keira Linden has mentioned in the Second Life Forums mobile section last year that once there is a beta version of it available then it will be open to everyone to try it out. It’s expected the lab will make an announcement in the weeks/months ahead hopefully. There is potential here for the lab to make this a huge success and another way of bringing in revenue maybe.
Back on Monday 22nd June 2020 Ebbe Altberg CEO of Linden Lab talked about future plans for the Second Life Mobile Companion app for iOS and Android devices. Almost a year later development is slowly getting there.
The iOS version of the Second Life mobile client has been rejected by Apple a few times or so now over the past six months. Apple seems to be making life hard for Linden Lab in terms of passing the app through its evaluation process.
Second Life Mobile News – April 2021 Update
- The app is now very close to being ready to go (internal tests are being carried out)
- Waiting for Apple to pass the app via their evaluation process
- Launch could happen before the end of the summer 2021 (my prediction)
- Development is way behind that of the iOS version
- Internal testing is still on-going
- Launch could happen later this year/early 2022 (my prediction)
Hopefully it won’t be too much longer until the lab announces more about Second Life mobile launch in the weeks or months ahead.