On Friday 6th November Oz Linden and Mazidox Linden talked with Strawberry Linden on Lab Gab about the latest developments on the Cloud Uplift work that is going on.
Everyone can watch the whole episode above which runs for roughly a hour.
Here are some of the highlights…
- The plan is still to have all of the transitional work completed before the end of 2020.
- A specialist company will be clearing out the Lab cages at the co-op facility after the Uplift and they will be disposing the old hardware. All user data will be destroyed.
- During the transitional period it has been significantly more expensive to operate Second Life. In the near future it’s believed operating costs will be reduced.
- Running Second Life on AWS can run more scripts and script events
- User-sensitive data is effectively hidden from Amazon (AWS). Linden Lab have put in strict contractual requirements.
- Estate / Region owners can file a support ticket if they wish to move to AWS
- 50% of the grid will be on AWS from 10th November 2020
- There is potential for a range of new land products on AWS in the months and years ahead
Its good to hear Linden Lab is still on track in moving Second Life into the cloud and that more regions are now running on AWS. Hopefully the performance and stability will be improved over time.
More updates soon.