As many know already Linden Lab is currently working on a brand new Second Life mobile companion app for iOS and for Android users. These are the latest updates relating to the new Second Life mobile app from this week’s web user group meeting from Wednesday 5th August 2020.
- Work for the Android version of the Second Life mobile app is still behind the iOS version at this time but the good news is that it’s still under active development.
- It’s got some time before it reaches the Alpha / Beta test process stages.
- The iOS version has been in closed alpha for roughly two months or so now
- The lab has a build that is expected to be submitted to Apple sometime during August 2020. It’s got to be reviewed first and then approved before it appears on the Apple App Store
- The development team and the QA team are working hard right now
What to expect when the Second Life mobile app launches ?
It’s worth pointing out when the Second Life app launches before 2021 it will be more of a communicator app than a full blown client. It’s going to be used for basic contact for now like for IM and group chat.
There will be no 3D world view and apparently there are three mobile regions that have been set up so far. Over time more features, mobile regions and more capabilities will be added for the iOS and Android versions.
The lab will probably do a big announcement when the iOS version is approved on the Apple App Store very soon. The Android version announcement will follow later most likely in 2020. Most likely sometime in the Autumn if all goes to plan is what I am thinking for timings.
The lab are making good progress so far. The overall development for both iOS and Android versions seems to be going alright so far. I am most looking forward to trying out the Android version when that launches.
I will post more on my blog when more information becomes available.