On Friday 27th March Lab Gab episode 19 was broadcasted live with Ebbe Altberg CEO of Linden Lab and Brett Linden Senior Director of Marketing. There was discussion about the coronavirus outbreak, Second Life and Sansar. It was a pretty interesting show.
Here is a brief summary on the latest new updates.
- All Linden Lab offices are closed. The co-lo data centre is open for access.
- It is not anticipated that Second Life should experience any significant service interruptions going forward.
- The lab have been saying “stay safe, stay virtual” during meetings and calls.
- The lab have concerns about the virus and its impact it may have on family/friends.
- Linden Lab formation is to work remotely from home (its been like that for years).
- Second Life is a very established & profitable company.
- Name Changes just a very few weeks away from launching.
- New registrations for Second Life are up by 60% with a rise in concurrency around 10% overall due to cities around the world being locked down.
- Returning users are up in Second Life – increase in those that have not logged into Second Life for some time.
- IOS Mobile Companion (IMs & group messaging) is now very close to Alpha status. Work has started on the Android version.
- Linden Lab is committed to the cloud uplift to AWS / Google until the end of 2020.
- New Second Life Book Club will launch on 8th April 2020 along with a monthly event. Showcase streams will be a series of “drop in” video streams that will showcase music and art events in Second Life.
- Around 30 staff at Sansar have been offered to join the new Sansar under Wookey Project Corp.
- Sansar new focus will be on virtual events in the music and entertainment sectors.
- Tilia will continue to be used for Sansar Dollar transactions
Here is the full episode below…