Check out the latest new interview with Ebbe Altberg CEO of Linden Lab talking about the future of Second Life and Sansar. Wagner James Au interviewed Ebbe Altberg for 45 minutes at Linden Lab HQ in San Francisco in March 2019.
They chatted about efforts to grow new user growth, land discounts, the upcoming mobile companion app, cloud deployment, improving performance and much more relating to Second Life. With Sansar they chatted about the low usage numbers since the beta launch, Sansar’s long download times and efforts to optimize Sansar.
It’s incredible to think Ebbe Altberg has now been with Linden Lab for over five years and he has achieved a great amount over the years from reducing land costs, the roll out of Mesh, Bento, Animesh, improved the communications with the community, improved the experience for premium members and much more.
Some highlights that I found most interesting,,,
- The new IOS mobile companion app is being worked on. It’s going to be focused on being connected with friends, chat, shopping, customer service and more. The lab are not considering it to be a viewer in the short term.
- New pricing options/discounts are coming soon (within next few months)
- Lot’s of new features (EEP) for Second Life (within weeks)
- Second Life is targeted to move completely to the Amazon cloud within the next 12 months (early – mid 2020)
- The premium subscriber base is growing
- The lab are focused on continuing revenue & user growth for Second Life.
- The lab are now interested in growing the concurrency levels and retention rates
- There are no plans to force migrate Second Life users to Sansar
- There are more people working on Second Life (130+) than Sansar (70+)
- There is work to continue to reduce Sansar long download times
- Sansar is still in beta and still in pre-launch mode
- The lab are shipping big updates every month
For more specific highlights from this interview see here.