Patch Linden (Senior Director, Product Operations) and Grumpity Linden (Senior Director of Product) went live during the (Above the Book) session at VWBPE 2019 yesterday afternoon (4th April) talking about what’s new at Linden Lab.
The session lasted for 55 minutes with a large audience at the VWBPE conference area. There were some updates on the new Linden Homes continent, new user experience and inworld tools in this session but nothing major to announce.
Some highlights worth mentioning were these…
- Linden Homes are about to come out which is a large project, structure of the regions are redesigned to be more organically
- The new continent will grow in time, water expansions/connections and spaces for flying expected to happen
- There are exciting things happening in the pipeline (late 2019/2020)
- The lab are working on IOS text based viewer
- Estate tools will be improving very soon
- Lab not been focused on media on a prim recently
Q&A started at 30 minutes with questions put to Patch Linden and Grumpity Linden from the community. There were mentions of search, mobile, community gateways, groups and much more.
If you have missed any of the VWBPE 2019 sessions so far then you can catch up here.
Check out the latest new interview with Ebbe Altberg CEO of Linden Lab talking about the future of Second Life and Sansar. Wagner James Au interviewed Ebbe Altberg for 45 minutes at Linden Lab HQ in San Francisco in March 2019.
They chatted about efforts to grow new user growth, land discounts, the upcoming mobile companion app, cloud deployment, improving performance and much more relating to Second Life. With Sansar they chatted about the low usage numbers since the beta launch, Sansar’s long download times and efforts to optimize Sansar.
It’s incredible to think Ebbe Altberg has now been with Linden Lab for over five years and he has achieved a great amount over the years from reducing land costs, the roll out of Mesh, Bento, Animesh, improved the communications with the community, improved the experience for premium members and much more.
Some highlights that I found most interesting,,,
- The new IOS mobile companion app is being worked on. It’s going to be focused on being connected with friends, chat, shopping, customer service and more. The lab are not considering it to be a viewer in the short term.
- New pricing options/discounts are coming soon (within next few months)
- Lot’s of new features (EEP) for Second Life (within weeks)
- Second Life is targeted to move completely to the Amazon cloud within the next 12 months (early – mid 2020)
- The premium subscriber base is growing
- The lab are focused on continuing revenue & user growth for Second Life.
- The lab are now interested in growing the concurrency levels and retention rates
- There are no plans to force migrate Second Life users to Sansar
- There are more people working on Second Life (130+) than Sansar (70+)
- There is work to continue to reduce Sansar long download times
- Sansar is still in beta and still in pre-launch mode
- The lab are shipping big updates every month
For more specific highlights from this interview see here.