According to Hypergrid Business latest blog post Avination Grid has officially shut down on OpenSim which is very sad news to hear about. Apparently the grid and company behind it has officially shut down after a series of financial problems in recent years.
Melanie Thielker who the owner of Avination Grid has confirmed the following:
- “The grid’s regions and user inventories are saved, but residents will lose any money they had in in-world currency“,
- “Now, that effort is over, the company is shut down, and the brand is too damaged to try to recover it,”
- “We allowed the company to lapse because of the damage to the name Avination“
- “We will shortly be able to provide avatars, inventories and regions from Avination in a new framework not called Avination.”
- “I’d like for people to have some assurance that the stuff is not lost,“
- “Since Avination is bankrupt and dissolved, there is no money there to pay out,“
I first joined Avination on 17th January 2012 and since then I’ve blogged about the Avination grid from community events, big news stories, grid improvements and much more. Back then there were 592 regions, 43, 787 registered users with 3, 226 unique logins (past 30 days). The Avination viewer was 54.9MB in size back then running version 1.5.8.
On the Avination login screen updated recently in 2017 there are 81, 424 registered users, 492 regions with 399 unique logins (past 30 days). These screenshots are from my first day when I arrived at the welcome area of Avination.
It’s a real shame this is the end of Avination now and this is a huge loss for the OpenSim community moving forward I think.