On 8th August Firestorm released a new update viewer (18.104.22.168527) which brings it up to date with the Linden Lab viewer release 4.0.6 codebase with many long-awaited features and bug fixes. The Firestorm team mentioned in the blog post that this is the first release where you won’t need to perform a clean install of the Firestorm viewer.
The big news is that this new release comes with new rendering complexity controls (JellyDolls) that lets you prevent expensive avatars from lagging you in Second Life. Also custom graphics presets and the http project has been added to this latest release. Yay! 🙂
Here are some of the highlights from this new update release and it’s worth checking out the release notes page for a complete list of the changes.
Linden Lab-Specific Highlights
Fully merged up to Linden Lab’s current release 4.0.6 codebase plus some cherry-picked fixes from upstream. Version 4.7.9 includes the following new features from the Linden Lab viewer:
- Quick Graphics — custom graphics presets. The Quick Graphics feature lets you save optimal graphics presets for all different occasions and quickly switch between them using a new top-bar pulldown.
- JellyDolls — avatar rendering complexity controls. A new Avatar Maximum Complexity control found in graphics preferences lets you prevent expensive avatars from lagging you.
- The HTTP Project — a complete replacement of the under-the-hood HTTP infrastructure. They provide improved performance and stability, resulting in fewer problems with high-volume operations like loading inventory.
- KDU updated to version 7.8,
- RLVa updated to v2.0 — http://catznip.com/index.php/RLVa_2.0_Release_Notes. The main changes in this update are:
- Added RLV 2.9 camera commands/restrictions (vision spheres not yet included due to time constraints but coming soon!).
- Formalized documentation of the nine existing RLVa-specific commands and restrictions
- Added five general new commands, 12 new camera-related commands and 14 extensions to existing commands.
- Fixed a number of issues relating to folder locks (@unshared/sharedwear/detachthis/etc.).
- Creators/scripters, please read the full release notes athttp://catznip.com/index.php/RLVa_2.0_Release_Notes.
- For photographers — new option to disable default eye movements and blinking.
- For builders — new option to show parcel boundary lines when building above ground level.
- For combat — avatar hitboxes are now colored in the same color as on the minimap to distinguish between friendlies and enemies.
- Inventory — new filter to search inventory items by transferable permission.
- UI — new look to the pie menu and login screen.
- Windlight — the cloud density setting now updates correctly, resulting in better-looking clouds.
- OpenSim — increased the maximum sound length to 60 seconds; improvements to var region handling, fixed IZURLs in Inworldz.
- Many crashes fixes, bug fixes and performance improvements.
Spread the word about the new version of the popular Firestorm Viewer! 🙂