Today marks Second Life official 13th birthday and it’s time to party. It’s amazing to think that Second Life was first launched on 23rd June 2003 developed by Linden Lab and since then Second Life has transformed so many lives.
Today Second Life has 24, 479 regions which is equivalent to 1604.26 (km²) for the total area and it would take a long time to explore it all. From the total amount of 24, 479 regions there are 17, 430 private estates and 7, 049 linden owned regions. Since June 2003 there have been 46,487,996 signups for Second Life and daily max concurrency averages around 50, 000 mark.
I have been in Second Life for almost ten years and it’s been a really good experience since October 2006. I have met so many nice people over the years and explored so many amazing places in Second Life. I started blogging in 2007 since then I have enjoyed writing about events to the big news happening on the grid. Thanks for subscribing and reading my blog posts. 🙂
Second Life has changed in many ways since I joined and there is too much to list everything. With the introduction of Windlight, Mesh and Bento Second Life has improved so much for the better. I’m sure the next 13 years will be even more exciting with more new features and improvements being added to Second Life.
Check out SL13B section on the Second Life Destination Guide to join in with the party happening now. 🙂
Did you know ?
- During the Alpha period between 2002-2003 the grid was known as Lindenworld then renamed to Second Life.
- In 2002 the grid only had 16 regions – Clara, Clyde, Da Boom, Federal, Freelon, Hawthorne, Minna, Natoma, Ritch, Shipley, Stanford,Stillman, Taber, Varney, Welsh, and Zoe.
- At the end of 2003 the Linden Dollar was introduced
- The first trailer for Second Life was shown in 2003
- There was a tax system back in 2003 which required every Resident to pay a weekly fee
- The first Linden official blog post was made by Philip Linden on October 4, 2004 on the first Official Second Life Blog.
- The first Telehubs were introduced in Version 1.1.0, with the feature of paying to teleport from one Telehub to another.
- History of Second Life Wiki – Great full historical record for Second Life
Happy 13th Birthday Second Life and here’s to another 13 years! 🙂