One Billion Rising in Second Life will be held on Sunday 14th February 2016 to raise awareness of violence against women around the world. The event will feature a four region stage, art installations, live performances and much more. A variety of performers will play over the 24-hour period.
In previous years One Billion Rising has been really good and I have enjoyed the event. I’m looking forward to attending this year. Will you be attending this year ?
History of One Billion Rising in Second Life
- On 14 February 2013, one billion people in 207 countries rose and danced to demand an end to violence against women and girls.
- On 14 February 2014, we escalated our efforts, calling on women and men everywhere to Rise, Release, Dance, and demand Justice!
- On February 14th 2015, we called for a revolution for change.
- Now, on February 14th 2016, we are escalating the call for revolution!
Volunteering for One Billion Rising in Second Life 2016
- Fill out the Volunteer form – Greeters, Stage Managers, Security and more positions available
- Fill out the Press Day form – Apply for Press Day – Friday 13th February 2016
About One Billion Rising
One Billion Rising is the biggest mass action to end violence against women in human history. The campaign, launched on Valentine’s Day 2012, began as a call to action based on the staggering statistic that 1 in 3 women on the planet will be beaten or raped during her lifetime. With the world population at 7 billion, this adds up to more than ONE BILLION WOMEN AND GIRLS.
On 14 February 2013, people across the world came together to express their outrage, strike, dance, and RISE in defiance of the injustices women suffer, demanding an end at last to violence against women. On 14 February 2014, One Billion Rising for Justice focused on the issue of justice for all survivors of gender violence, and highlighted the impunity that lives at the intersection of poverty, racism, war, the plunder of the environment, capitalism, imperialism, and patriarchy. For the third year of the campaign, One Billion Rising’s global coordinators chose the theme of “Revolution” as an escalation of the demand for justice, and to build upon the massive efforts of communities worldwide that also looked at the roots and causes of violence as part of their call for justice. On (or around) 14 February 2015, millions of activists in over 200 countries gathered to Rise for REVOLUTION, to change the paradigm, demand accountability, justice and systematic CHANGE. We are rising to show we are determined to create a new kind of consciousness – one where violence will be resisted until it is unthinkable.
In 2016, the theme of Revolution continues with a call to focus on marginalised women and to bring national and international focus to their issues; to bring in new artistic energy; to amplify Revolution as a call for system change to end violence against women and girls; to call on people to rise for others, and not just for ourselves.
- OBR 2016 website: https://onebillionrisingsl.wordpress.com/
- OBR 2016 Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Billion-Rising/493344827375934
- Second Life Group: One Billion Rising
- OBR 2016 Twitter Stream: https://twitter.com/OBRinSL
- OBR 2016 Flickr Group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/2169739@N23/