On 3rd January 2016 Tyche Shepherd posted up the final report for 2015 for the latest region counts for Second Life. It’s not good news really because the overall the Second Life grid apparently “shrunk by 746 regions (2.9% of total) but private estates were down by 825 (4.4% of private estates) a slightly larger loss than last years net loss of 696 regions”.
2016 is going to be a challenging year I think for Second Life with the next generation platform launching in Q1 2016 and surely that will affect the grid numbers. It’s hard to tell if private estates will grow again or decline further this year ?. We will have to wait and see.
The highest recorded was 31,988 regions in Second Life back on 13th June 2010. Today it’s dropped down to 24, 886 regions. I hope someday there will be growth for the total amount of Main Grid regions otherwise by 2020 the grid will be a much smaller place like it being under 17, 000 regions if the trends continue.
Here are the stats between 2013 to 2016 at the start of the year for comparison. Now during 2016 I will be publishing regular updates on the latest region counts, so stay tuned for that.
On 6th January 2013
- Total number of Main Grid regions: 28, 036
- Private Estates: 20, 921
- Linden Owned: 7, 115
- During 2013 private estates in Second Life decreased by 1, 719 regions which is a net loss of 8.2%
On 5th January 2014
- Total number of Main Grid regions: 26, 227
- Private Estates: 19, 241
- Linden Owned: 6, 986
- During 2014 private estates in Second Life decreased by 673 regions which is a net loss of 3.5%
On 4th January 2015
- Total number of Main Grid regions: 25, 611
- Private Estates: 18, 579
- Linden Owned: 7, 032
- During 2015 private estates in Second Life decreased by 825 regions which is a net loss of 4.4%
As of 3rd January 2016
- Total number of Main Grid regions: 24, 886
- Private Estates: 17, 775
- Linden Owned: 7, 111
What are your predictions during 2016 for region counts in Second Life ?