Today Linden Lab announced that Second Life land setup fees have been reduced and is effective immediately. This is good news that Linden Lab have finally reduced the setup fee costs for Private Islands and it will be interesting to see whether or not Private Islands will start to increase again soon.
I do think this is a step in the right direction and I’m sure this will be most welcome news. Lowering the tier by a small amount would be a good move and i’m sure many would be happy about that. Will it happen in 2016 or 2017 ?
Here are the new reduced set-up fees:
- Full Private Island – previously $1000, now $600
- Developed Full Private Island – previously $1029, now $629
- Homestead Private Island – previously $375, now $225
- Developed Homestead Private Island – previously $395, now $250
- Openspace Private Island – previously $250, now $150
Educational and nonprofit organizations will still continue to receive a 50% discount off the set up fee along with the 50% off ongoing maintenance fees. The lab mentions that “If you have paid a region set-up fee in the past 14 days, you will receive the difference in fees back as a credit (in US Dollars) to your account balance”.
Transferring Regions with Grandfathered Pricing
Effective immediately, both Grandfathered Full Private Island regions ($195/month) and Grandfathered Homestead Private Island regions ($95/month) may be transferred to new owners without losing the discounted pricing. However, the one-time fee for transferring grandfathered regions will be higher than the usual transfer fee, as follows:
- Transfer of a Full Island, maintaining grandfathered pricing: $600/each
- Transfer of a Homestead Island, maintaining grandfathered pricing: $300/each
The standard fee will still apply to all other region transfers, as well as if you choose to give up grandfathered pricing when transferring a previously grandfathered region.
What do you think of this announcement ?