Relay Weekend starts on Saturday 18th to Sunday 19th July 2015 in Second Life and the excitement is building up for the 11th annual event. The RFL regions have arrived and preparations are being made. This year the hope is to reach the 2.5 million dollar mark which would be absolutely incredible.
This year there is so much packed into Relay Weekend to remember loved ones and raise money for the fight against cancer. Take part and mark a difference! 🙂
What is Relay For Life of Second Life ?
Relay For Life is the signature event of the American Cancer Society and has been active, and continually growing in Second Life for 11 years. In 2005, the first Relay For Life of Second Life (RFL of SL) was attended by a few hundred avatars and raised almost $5,000 US dollars for the American Cancer Society. Five years later, in 2010 the Relay For Life of Second Life raised over $220,000. The 1 MILLIONTH US dollar was raised in 2011 when more than 2000 volunteers raised over $375,000. In 2012 we passed the 1.5 million dollar mark. In 2014, we passed the 2 million US dollar mark and we are approaching the 2.5 million dollar mark quickly.
The event schedule listings are now available for Relay Weekend. please see below!
Saturday 18th July 2015:
- Opening Ceremony – 10 am – The fun-filled weekend begins!
- CELEBRATE – 11 am – The first lap of Relay weekend begins with the celebrate ceremony. A Survivor/Caregiver honor walk. Please line the track and celebrate our heroes.
- REMEMBER – 9pm – the Luminaria Ceremony – a solemn reflection with readings and inspirational music; sims are darkened in remembrance of those and their loved ones who have lost their battles to cancer or are still battling it; all are invited to participate. Please walk the track in silence.
Sunday 19th July 2015:
- FIGHT BACK -6am- Pick up your Fight Back Kits and Fight Back Flags – available at the Relay Information Stations along the track, and join us as we make our fight back pledges to save a life this year – your own, a friends, a family member, or someone you don’t even know yet. Together we all can FIGHT BACK against cancer.
- Closing Ceremony – 10 am – Come to close out our amazing weekend with this closing tribute to what we’ve accomplished and how we will, as ONE big Relay For Life of Second Life team, continue to Fight Back and keep our Hope alive.
Relay Weekend Theme Hours
Saturday 18th July 2015
- 10:00 AM Opening Ceremony
- 11:00 AM Survivor/Caregiver – CELEBRATE
- 12:30 PM Teams Lap
- 2:00 PM Crazy Hats & Hair
- 3:00 PM Movies & Musicals
- 4:00 PM Holiday Road
- 5:00 PM Hawaiian Beach Party
- 6:00 PM Space Cadets Fight Cancer Too
- 7:00 PM Health Matters
- 8:00 PM Purple Power
- 9:00 PM Luminaria Ceremony – REMEMBER
- 10:00 PM Meet & Make A New Friend
- 11:00 PM Your Relay Heritage
- MIDNIGHT The Random Hour
Sunday 14th July 2015
- 1:00 AM Get Active – Sports !
- 2:00 AM The 60’s
- 3:00 AM Hoppy Ball Bounce
- 4:00 AM Relay Around The World
- 5:00 AM Heroes – Every Day & Super
- 6:00 AM FIGHT BACK
- 7:00 AM Happy More Birthdays
- 8:00 AM Coffee, Tea, or Relay
- 9:00 AM Formal Hour
- 10:00 AM Closing Ceremonies
- 11:00 AM Victory Lap! – Walk the track and meet the Relay Committee.
Celebrate YOUR Relay. Take THAT, Cancer!
- 12:30 PM RAFFLE Draw!
- 1:00 PM SILENT AUCTION Closes!
- 2:00 PM Enjoy Walking the Track and Visiting the Builds
Relay Weekend Activities
Visit the Relay For Life Museum and see the changes over the past 11 years of RFL of SL history. There are many activities happening during Relay Weekend on the 4 Activity Regions and the Water Region including…
- Torch Of Hope
- Raffle For Relay
- Silent Auction
- Art Show and Sale
- Live Music
- DJs Music and Dancing
- Stand Up Comedy
- Tribute Bands
- Snail Races
- The Body Is A Fortress Hunt
- 4 (sim) Corner Ceremonies Stage
- Teams Vendor Markets
- Sailing For Relay
- 50 – 999 – Green
- 1000 – 2499 – Orange
- 2500 – 4999 – Blue
- 5000 – 7499 – Yellow
- 7500 – 9999 – Pink
- 10000 or more – Purple + fireworks
I’ll be posting more next week on RFL of SL 2015. 🙂