This is the autumn 2014 Second Life statistics blog post looking back at the past 3 months to see what’s been happening in terms of grid numbers. My last statistics blog post was made on 2nd July 2014 for the summer update. These are the very latest statistics for Second Life that are available today. My next statistics blog post will be published in late December 2014 with highlights of the year and predictions for the year ahead for 2015.
- Red = decline
- Green = increase
- The total number of Main Grid regions is now 25, 836 – (down from 26, 120)
- The total number of Private Estates is now 18, 824 – (down from 19, 080)
- The total number of Linden Owned is now 7, 012 – (down from 7, 040)
- Numbers correct as of 28th September 2014
On 1st October 2013
- Total Main Grid regions: 26, 729
- Total Private Estates: 19, 645
- Total Linden owned: 7, 084
Since 2nd July 2014 the region count has been falling in all three key areas (Main Grid regions, Private Estates and Linden Owned regions). As of 21st September 2014 the year to date Private Estate losses are now 431 (2.2%). Back in July 2014 that number was 200 (1%). In April 2014 the decline rate was 0.5%.
Private Estates Growth
Since 2nd July 2014 there have been a few peaks in private estates which is worth mentioning but it’s still not enough. There needs to be far more private estate growth in the coming months and something needs to be done to build up more interest in buying private estates in Second Life.
- Net growth of 24 private estates – 24th August 2014
- Net growth of 1 private estate – 21st September 2014
SL Daily Concurrency Levels
Since 2nd July 2014 the daily concurrency levels in Second Life have been reaching a maximum peak of 52, 000 (down from 56, 000) and a low peak of 28, 000 (down from 30, 000). Still the numbers are declining it seems and as many know the levels were much higher in previous years. I would imagine the concurrency levels will start to pick up again now we are heading into the winter months.
- The median daily concurrency has dropped down to 41, 000 (down from 42, 000)
- The mean daily concurrency is 40, 550
The rate of daily signups has increased slightly during the past three months in general. Very soon Second Life will reach a new milestone of 40, 000, 000 registered accounts since the beginning of Second Life way back in 2002/2003.
- Between 10, 000 – 13, 000 new accounts are being created every day for Second Life
- In total so far there have been 39, 736, 544 registered signups for Second Life
In the past three months the grid has declined in grid size and the concurrency levels have dropped again. Private Estates saw some growth in the summer and the daily signup rate has started to pick up again. My predictions for the next three months is that there will be growth in the areas listed above and that Second Life will reach the 40 million mark for total registered accounts.
Useful Links For More SL Stats
- My SL Metrics page – stats, links and historical data
- New SL Sims in past week – now on page 90 and updated every Sunday!
- Second Life Grid Survey – best place for real-time SL stats
- Second Life Statistical Charts – historical and updated stats