Update: The live Q&A session through voice was a huge success this morning and special thanks goes to the Firestorm team/Linden Lab for hosting this meeting with the Second Life community. There were 73 people in the Firestorm Auditorium with over 213 viewer’s watching via the online stream. The meeting was strictly about the future of Second Life and there was questions from the SL community nearer the end.
Special Guests: Oz Linden and Pete Linden
Here is the summary on the main points from the meeting between 7am to 8am SLT.
- “No plans to shut down Second Life. It’s not going away and we will continue to make SL better” – Pete Linden
- Smaller active team working on Second Life – Oz Linden
- “This was exactly the job I was looking for and I’m more than happy to have it” talking about the new platform – Oz Linden
- Second Life is the most successful virtual world ever – Pete Linden
- Second Life and the new platform will run parallel to each other – Pete Linden
- “The new platform is so far off that alpha or beta won’t happen till next year” – Pete Linden
- “All that’s changed… we as a company have taken an additional step to be more transparent about…what we’re working on” – Pete Linden
- “Experience Keys will be will be coming out today” and a new Torley Linden video – Oz Linden
- “We’re going to keep working on Group Chat until we make it better” – Oz Linden
- “HTTP pipelining is in the works for Second Life. Testing is showing good improvement – Oz Linden
- “We intend to talk about what we’re doing earlier.. and more actively with the community over time” – Oz Linden
- “We haven’t announced any pricing changes, and I can’t say that any would be coming” on land tier – Pete Linden
- 2 Fixes for Second Life ATI texture errors – Oz Linden
- “It’s not something we’re looking at, at this minute” on increasing group numbers from 42 – Oz Linden
- “No ban on child avatars” – Pete Linden
- “No news on last names coming back at the moment. Ebbe is thinking about it” – Pete Linden
- “Keep logging in..Keep creating things… continuing on with that keeps Second Life the awesome environment that it is” – Pete Linden
- “No plans to opensource the server code” – Pete Linden
Lets hope for more meetings like this in the near future!
2 thoughts on “Updated: The Future of Second Life live Q&A session”
I’m confused about: “This was exactly the job I was looking for and I’m more than happy to have it” talking about the new platform – Oz Linden
Oz is running the original. SL so why does the new platform impact his job directly?