This is the spring 2014 Second Life statistics update blog post. I publish the spring, summer, autumn and winter updates during each year looking at the Second Life economy. My last Second Life statistics blog post was published on 2nd December 2013 for the winter update.
- The total number of Main Grid regions is now 26, 165 – (down from 26, 403)
- The total number of Private Estates is now 19, 181 – (down from 19, 424)
- The total number of Linden Owned is now 6, 984 – (up from 6, 979)
Since 2nd December 2013 the region count is still declining week on week and Tyche Shepherd published today that Private Estate Net loss for the year to date is 92 regions (0.5%). If rates continue then the total number of main grid regions will go under 26, 000 within the next few months. Private Estates will go under 19, 000 within the same time frame.
Private Estates Growth
On 24th February 2014 private estates actually grew by 15 regions (net growth) which was welcomed I think. This marked the first growth for private estates of 2014 and marked the first time the grid grew week on week since 31st March 2013.
- +30 regions on 24th June 2012
- +13 regions on 31st March 2013
- +15 regions on 23rd February 2014
These are positive signs indeed that there is interest again and growth for private estates in Second Life. It would be nice to see private estates growing on a monthly basis instead of slowly declining. The good news is that there is a slow down in net losses which is good and lets hope it continues to slow down. It would be nice to see growth in the total amount of regions in Second Life again.
SL Daily Concurrency Levels
Since December 2013 the daily concurrency levels seem to be reaching a maximum peak of 62, 000 on average and 29, 000 for the low peak. The median and mean daily concurrency seems to be steady around the 45, 000 mark.
As of today there are 37,524,063 total signups since Second Life first launched according to the Second Life Grid Survey. See the updated graph below showing resident signups to date and it appears there was more growth in signups from late 2011 onwards. Hmm, interesting!
According to Dwell On It statistical graphs it appears that the rate of signups on a daily basis is now between 7, 000 to 14, 000. Within the next few years the total amount of signups will reach 40, 000, 000. I hope the daily signups rate will increase in the coming years to something like 15, 000 to 20, 000. I think that with more investment in new developments for Second Life that will happen at some point.
On 15th March 2014 Hypergrid Business reported that OpenSim regions drop on OSgrid’s spring cleanup. The top 40 OpenSim grids lost nearly 5, 000 regions during the last two months. 196 opensim grids reported stats last month and note that there are far more opensim grids out there but they didn’t share stats.
- 28,684 regions
- 359,351 registered users
- 21,461 active users
Top ten most popular grids by active users
- InWorldz: 7,550 active users
- OSgrid: 3,313 active users
- Avination: 1,552 active users
- Metropolis: 1,300 active users
- Island Oasis: 798 active users
- Kitely: 629 active users
- Craft World: 614 active users
- 3rd Rock Grid: 375 active users
- AviWorlds: 372 active users
- Littlefield: 344 active users
Top ten most popular grids by regions
- OSgrid: 7,376 regions
- Kitely: 5,655 regions
- Metropolis: 3,676 regions
- InWorldz: 1,354 regions
- Virtual Worlds Grid: 1,268 regions
- ScienceSim: 1,189 regions
- Avination: 623 regions
- Open Virtual Worlds: 518 regions
- Lost Paradise: 445 regions
- 3rd Rock Grid: 338 regions
Next stats update
My next Second Life statistics blog post will be published in early July 2014. Check out my SL Metrics page for more interesting stats.