This is the second special post looking back at the last six months of 2013 in Second Life on what happened between July to December 2013.
There have been many Linden Lab announcements, big SL news stories and big events that shaped Second Life during the past six months of 2013.
See my first special post of my year in review from the first six months of 2013 in Second Life from January to June 2013. There are just five days left until the brand new year 2014.
- Second Life grid celebrated Independence Day > 4th
- BURN2 plots became available > 8th
- SL Relay for Life weekend opened for 24 hours > 13th
- SL Relay for Life surpassed 2 million dollars >14th
- Rod Humble played with Oculus Rift in Second Life >18th
- Private Estates dropped under the 20, 000 regions mark > 21st
- VWBPE 2013 opened officially > 24th
- Linden Lab updated pricing for educational and non-profit orgs > 24th
- Linden Lab offered 50% for a limited time > 28th
- LEA announced round 5 of the LEA Land Grant program > 5th
- Over 30 avatars attended the RFL of SL wrap up party of 2013 > 10th
- Linden Lab updated the terms of service > 15th
- Server Side Appearance went grid wide > 19th
- BURN2 2013 plot winners were announced > 22nd
- Calas Galadhon Park opened to the public for a few days or so > 2nd
- The Arcade celebrated it’s first birthday in Second Life > 3rd
- Firestorm celebrated it’s 3rd birthday in Second Life > 4th
- National Space Society in Second Life announced winners > 10th
- BURN2 2013 team selected ten artists > 12th
- Second Life Metaverse Journal closed down publishing > 16th
- Metaverse Week in Review turned six years old > 16th
- Second Life featured on The Verge > 25th
- Linden Lab announced SLShare > 25th
- Linden Lab published video on improvements in Second Life during 2013 > 26th
- Grendel’s Children celebrated it’s 7th anniversary in Second Life > 1st
- United Content Creators of SL offered a strong approach to the TOS change back in August 2013 > 13th
- Qarl Fizz announced closure of his region and lack of support for the deformer project > 17th
- BURN2 2013 officially opened in Second Life > 19th
- Builder’s Brewery reached 20, 000 group members > 19th
- Second Life Mobile Beta Invites went out > 23rd
- Teen CL Regions were closed down by Linden Lab > 1st
- Draxtor Despres played with Leap Motion > 4th
- SLUniverse turned ten years old > 17th
- Firestorm blocked old viewers > 19th
- The Blackened Mirror season 2 – episode 1 went live > 1st
- Voidpointer Linden mentioned a possible Oculus Rift viewer for Second Life > 8th
- Bay City tree lighting event 2013 took place in Second Life > 8th
- The annual Avi Choice Awards for 2013 took place >16th
- Andrew Linden leaves Linden Lab after 11 years and 6 months > 17th
- Linden Lab announces it’s 2013 highlights and looks ahead to 2014 > 20th
Big Improvements made to Second Life in 2013 which is worth mentioning…
- Linden Lab added more than 3, 000 new entries added to the Second Life Destination Guide during 2013
- Project Sunshine added faster and more reliable avatar loading speeds
- Project Interesting reduced load times and the time to draw objects in regions
- Materials support enabled everyone to create photorealistic textured objects inworld using normal and specular maps
- The Fitted Mesh Project expanded the creative potential of mesh
- CHUI introduced a new hub user interface to communicate inworld
- SLShare introduced an opt-in feature to share inworld locations, photos, check-ins with Facebook
In 2014 I’m really excited about the following things…
- Second Life on Mobile devices
- Full integration of the Oculus Rift
- And there is more!
Wow, so much has happened in Second Life during 2013 with many ups and downs. I wonder what 2014 has to offer ? and hopefully it will be a great year for everyone.
You can expect more blogging and more great snapshots in 2014 from me in Second Life/OpenSim grids. I’m excited for the new year ahead in Second Life.
Thanks so much for reading my blog posts and supporting me during 2013. *smiles* – Bring on 2014!