There is just one week left until the grand opening at of the 9th annual Relay For Life weekend which starts at 10am SLT on Saturday 13th though to Sunday 14th July 2013. Preparations are taking place currently on the 40+ regions to get everything ready on time and its going to be great fun this year. I’m sure new records will be broken this year as the RFL teams walk for 24 hours around the track. Relay For Life weekend is one of the largest fundraising events in Second Life and each year more people show their commitment to fight against cancer.
Latest SL RFL weekend 2013 Event Schedule
- The event will officially open at 10:00am on Saturday with an Opening Ceremony, where the Fundraiser Club Banner Awards for 2013 will be presented to the teams. More than 100 cancer survivors and caregivers have registered to take part in the ‘honor walk’, which is a CELEBRATE lap and will start immediately after the opening ceremony, followed by the team spirit lap.
- At 9:00pm the track sims are turned to midnight to light up the thousands of luminaria (candles) along the track, each representing a survivor or someone who has passed from cancer. For one hour people walk the track in silence as the dedications are read over the broadcasting stream, provided by T1 Radio. This lap is known as the REMEMBER lap.
- At 6:00am is the FIGHT BACK Ceremony when people gather together to make a personal pledge to help fight cancer. It might be by pledging to have a regular breast exam, to follow a healthy diet, or to stop smoking.
- The Closing Ceremony will begin at 10:00am on Sunday, June 14th followed by a final victory lap at 11:00am. The Raffle For Relay and Silent Auction will remain open until that afternoon.
SL RFL regions at 6:15am SLT today
SL RFL Links
- Visit: http://rflofsl.intuitwebsites.com/
- Blog: http://rflofsl.blogspot.co.uk/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rflofsl
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/RelayForLife_SL
- Flickr: http://tinyurl.com/o5ja2os
- Wiki: http://tinyurl.com/6xxh8ro