Today I decided to sign up to Pixie Viewer and try out the first look release. Pixie Viewer is a web browser-based viewer for virtual 3D environments. Pixie Viewer is currently in the Alpha phrase and runs on tablets/mobiles which supports HTML5 internet browers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc. Hopefully soon it will reach the beta/public release stages along with new features. :)
The sign-up process was very quick and easy to register with my SL username. The login process takes seconds to load and render objects in the new resident Pixie experience. My first impressions was that the Pixie Viewer shows a very basic user interface with limited amount of controls around the edges of the screen. Also it’s very quiet in terms of avatars nearby which is somewhat expected I think. I liked the large Welcome Sign with things you can do in the first look version of the Pixie Viewer.
Basic User Interface buttons:
- Play/Mute/Pause buttons with volume slider
- Current time
- Stats button which brings up the Scene Rendering Info
- Build button which brings up basic shapes window
- Chat which brings up Public Chat
- Report Bug sends to bug report webpage
- Logout button ends the session
It’s worth trying out if you like beta testing new developments in the SL metaverse.
What can you do with the Pixie Viewer ?
- Explore a 3D World running inside any WEB GL enabled browser
- Chat with others
- Interact with some objects
- Build basic shapes and with a set of starter models
- 3D Photo Booth allows you to print your builds in 3D
Pixie Viewer signup page
Pixie Viewer welcome area
Will you be testing out the new Pixie Viewer ?