Rod Humble talks about games design, development and Second Life in this recent interview with design3. I thought the interview was interesting and inspiring throughout the 8 minutes / 7 seconds of the video.
design3 got a chance to talk to Rod Humble at the UCSC ‘Inventing the Future of Games’ Symposium.
At 4 minutes in the video Rod Humble talks about Second Life which is always good to hear. Here are my favourite quotes from the interview below.
- Rod says “I think what attracted me to Second Life is it was so unique”
- “The economy is entirely driven by the players”
- “Boy, that connected me”
- “They care awful lot about that”
- “I think that, to me it was this logical progression”
- “Second Life was right there already”
- Rod says “I think it’s over”
- “I made games that I created”
- “At this point you’re in a time machine business”
- “It’s time machine time”
- “I would say if you’re not a programmer then start with board games”
- “You can make a game this weekend”
- “It’s not hard”
- “It is a learned skill”
- “You don’t have to learn C++ to make a game anymore”
- “There’s tools out there like game maker, there’s dark basic, all these are very easy to use tools”
- “Then you’re off to the races”
- Rod says “I encourage everyone who likes games who thinks its interesting to do it and my hope is that there will be a bunch of ideas”
At the end of the video the interviewer asks Rod what one word he would give to sum up video games design. Rod says “Glorious” which is a great word to use I think.
- If you want to learn about making games and apps visit > http://www.design3.com/.