Today Viewer 3 is out of beta and now is the default Second Life viewer after being in beta for a few weeks or so. This download features Mesh and many fixes. 😀
- Release Notes for SL Viewer v3.0.0 (238864)
- Download and install!
So far in 2011 the Second Life user concurrency has been trending downwards and dropping mostly during the year so far. There has no major high peaks during 2011 which has been disappointing. Many would say it’s been declining/flat this year and to be fair it has been. Don’t forget to visit my SL Metrics page for more interesting statistics. 😀
The Second Life daily median concurrency started well at the start of 2011 at around 56, 000 and now it appears to be hovering above 50, 000. The daily user concurrency average for August 2011 seems to be around 31, 000 to 65, 000 at peak. I wonder if things will pick up during the rest of 2011 or continue to decline further?.
User hours is another interesting area to focus on and again it shows a large drop in user hours in Second Life between Q1 2010 and Q2 2011. Check out this graph to see the user hours (millions).
Check out these updated graphs from the Grid Survey showing high, balanced and slipping stats.
In January 2009 there was a huge peak in Second Life user concurrency that reached the 80k milestone and then almost reached the 90k milestone in late March 2009. The 100k milestone I think won’t happen for a long time yet however that would be nice to see it reach that figure in the next few years.
Linden Lab are rolling out Mesh to all sims today apparently. This is really good news for the SL community and that will explain the rolling restarts happening in progress right now. After the rolling restarts all regions on the grid should have mesh support if everything goes according to plan.
This week MESH goes to the main channel. Wow, we’ve been working on this one for a long time and this is it. Thanks to everyone who has participated in the beta process and filed bugs!
Max prim scale has been raised to 64m
From the Second Life Grid Status Reports today it appears the rolling restarts have been completed.
Posted by Status Desk on August 23rd, 2011 at 09:10 am PDT
[Resolved 9:10AM PDT 23, August 2011] Today’s rolling restarts have completed.
[Updated 5:03AM PDT, 23 August 2011] Rolling restarts on the main Second Life server channel will begin momentarily. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects, making inworld L$ transactions and please save all builds. We will update this post when the restarts have completed.
[POSTED 8:22PM PDT, 22 August 2011] Rolling restarts for regions on the main Second Life server channel will be performed on Tuesday, August 23rd at approximately 5:00am PDT. Please make sure to save all builds and refrain from making purchases during this time.
Here is the release notes for 23rd August 2011 for the Second Life Server channel. Alot of improvements for sure and congratulations to Linden Lab. 😀
- This is the “Mesh” project. scheduled 2011-08-23
- Mesh objects can be uploaded
- Child prims can be set to have no collision shape (do not contribute to collision of object)
- Objects that use the features above (mesh shapes or non-colliding parts) will have prim cost calculated based on actual impact to the parcel/region rather than simple count.
- Max prim scale has been raised to 64m on a side
- New physics engine
- Overhaul how collision shapes are constructed and stored in memory.
- 10 cm gap between colliding objects has been removed for most objects:
- For convex prims (dynamic and static)
- Concave prims (static only)
- For small prims ( <~0.2m on a side ) it can’t be completely removed so those objects may still exhibit a gap, but it will typically be smaller than it was before the change.
- Parcel-full return sort order has changed: most recently “changed” get returned first, but still grouped by OTHER, GROUP, and OWNER in that order.
Great news this week is that Relay For Life of Second Life 2011 has set a new fundraising record of US$375,000. This year marks the largest amount of fundraising there has ever been in Relay For Life’s history in Second Life. Congratulations!
- At the Wrap-Up Party on Saturday, August 20, 2011 Event Chair MamaP Beerbaum proudly announced that the seventh Relay For Life of Second Life had set a new season fundraising record of US$375,000, had a record number of 140 teams, and a record number of over 3,000 relayers.
- This year’s theme was ‘Seasons of Hope’ and was the largest to date, with a track lined by luminaria winding through 41 sims of amazing builds representing the different seasons. Some 2,140 avatars completed one or more laps, a combined total of 3,486 laps, and visited the campsites and the designer sims. And 4,817 luminaria were lit in support of loved ones going through treatment, and in memory of those heroes who have passed on.
- The Kick-Off for RFL of SL 2012 will be on March 10, 2012.
- Next year’s theme will be ‘Time for a Cure’.
- And the clock is already ticking!