Rod Humble (Rodvik Linden) talked about virtual goods, online communities and the current financial position at Linden Lab. Rod mentioned Second Life many times during the during 3 minutes and 57 seconds Bloomberg interview on 29th June 2011.
Key points during the interview…
- Second Life is really a shared creativity tool – online communities – creativity are the magic
- Rod talked about selling a virtual chair
- Rod mentioned “poetry and music communities”
- Virtual goods – “last quarter was our most successful quarter ever”
- “Second Life is 8 years old”
- “Joined the company in January” – “wonderful tool set”
- Focus – “Easier to get into the product”
- “We’re not looking for any further investment right now”
- “We’re profitable, we’ve got a very good cash balance”
- “16, 000 people signing up everyday”
- No IPO for Linden Lab
Rod mentioned a lot of good positive things about Second Life & Linden Lab during the interview which I thought was really encouraging and interesting. Rod mentioning that “We’re profitable, we’ve got a very good cash balance” are healthy signs indeed. Sounds good right?
I think the SL community are starting to believe and are liking Rod Humble for the direction he is talking Second Life in now. With mesh starting to rollout next month and a possible mobile tablet in the pipeline. These are very exciting times I think.
Let’s hope the trend will continue during the rest of 2011 and into 2012.