SL Recap of February 2010 in Second Life.
Upcoming March Events 2010
Big changes in SL so far:
- Xstreet SL
- SL Blogs/Forums
- SL Dashboard
- Viewer 2.0 Public Beta (plus other sl viewers)
RL Recap of February 2010
- Facebook turns 6 years old + new layout
- STS-130 space shutte mission launches
- Alexander McQueen is found dead
- 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics
- Pelican attacks TV Weatherman
- Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 7
- Massive earthquake strikes Chile – magnitude of 8.8
During inworld Documentation Office Hours on 24th February 2010, there was a link to fill out the New Viewer 2 Beta Survey. There is alot to disgust this week and there is a BIG BUZZ right now on VIEWER 2 BETA inworld. There have been a few hundred plurks on viewer 2 within the past few days and over 1, 000 tweets by SL residents (growing by the minute). The SL blogosphere has exploded with tons of reactions/review posts on the new viewer 2. Viewer 2.0 Beta Forum – Feedback and Questions
This is a survey to gather feedback about Viewer 2 Beta.
If you have a technical question you would like resolved, please visit our Quick Start guide:
Roundup of this weeks SL Blog Official Posts relating Viewer 2 beta.
More updates soon.
My thoughts on the new viewer 2.0 public beta after two days using it.
- HTML on a Prim (Media) is awesome
- Improved MOTD color scheme at startup, teleporting and logging out
- Search bar along the top is nice along with the Star button to add landmarks (favourites)
- Picture icons for SL avatars is great
- Download size is not that big which is a good thing
- Improved Help menus/buttons/navigation
- New develop/advanced menus are cool for goodies
- Nearby avatars in the People tab is handy
- Friend / Notice alerts is a nice feature on the bottom toolbar
- Profiles now squashed up in the right sidebar (showing SL pic and RL pic)
- Events is difficult to find
- Friend permissions gone
- Pie menus gone
- Search has been renamed back to Find
- The right sidebar takes up a lot of space
- Total items amount is gone from the top when viewing Inventory
- Me menu is very limited to what you can do
- Sounds settings need to be improved in top right
- World Map has changed the rating icons
There are a whole lot of other things to add good and not so good about the new viewer 2.0 public beta. The new Viewer 2.0 is still in the early stages of development etc with loads of exciting changes to come in the near future.
Latest Reactions from SL Residents
Feel free to comment on your views on the new Second Life 2.0 Viewer Public Beta below…
The New Second Life Viewer 2.0 Public Beta has arrived today after T Linden’s Keynotes at SL Pro 2010. The new beta viewer page for viewer 2.0 was released to the public just after 9:45am PST (5:45pm UK time) this morning. The 23rd of February 2010 will be a historical date for Linden Lab and SL residents with the new future generations of 2.0 etc. Great work Linden Lab!
The last few hours or so I have been testing it and here are my latest screenshots of the viewer 2.0 public beta. I have alot of mixed feelings about it so far. So far it looks very nice.
Screenshot of new User Interface
Screenshot of new Help Menu and World Map sidebar
Timeline of SL Viewers
There are alot of new features and menus to get used to in the new viewer 2.0 and it will take some time to get used to it all.
New Features in Viewer 2.0 Public Beta
The next generation Second Life Viewer is here! Download Viewer 2 and experience new features such as:
- Integrated Web-Based Media
- Easier, Browser-Like Navigation
- Side Panel for Frequently-Used Features
- Improved Search
The resident help groups will now have to spend time updating their SL tutorials and SL newbie resources. There have been alot of recent news about this upcoming viewer 2.0 for many months now and now its out to download there will be alot more discussions on it. Feedback will now start spreading inworld/on the internet like the SL Forums, SL Answer and on social networking sites like Plurk, Facebook and Twitter etc. It’s exciting and its going to be interesting how it developments in the coming weeks and months.
Find out More
Survey: Do you like the new Second Life Viewer 2.0 Public Beta ? What do you think?
Here is a list of helping groups that have passed the first round of the new beta Resident Help Network program by Linden Lab. Well done to all of them!
- Help Sandbox
- Hobo Helpers
- Mental Mentors
- New Citizens, Inc (NCI)
- Phoenix Wave Team
- SecondAbility Mentors
- Virtual Ability
- White Tiger Mentors
Visit the Resident Help Network Portal if your interested in joining and volunteering. (IM Lexie Linden)
The Resident Help Network (RHN) program is designed to promote “the best of the best” volunteer-run help groups inworld through a cohesive network. Linden Lab reviews each group through an application process, and each group that passes muster is added to our approved network.
Round 2 to be announced in the coming months. The Resident Help Network was launched back in November 2009 before SL Mentors program was shut down on December 11th 2009. The TSL Mentors program was shut down early 2009 for confirmation.
This week there has been alot of hype about the New Second Life Forums during office hours and around the grid. There has been alot of plurks, resident blog posts and tweets on the new forums which is creating a buzz. SL Forums JIRA
Report Abuse – NEW
- There is now a new Report Abuse link at the bottom of every post/comments. When you click the link it will take you to Report Abuse page where you can put the needed details.
- Under Primary Reasons drop down menu and the Additional Information box.
- This feature was added 18th February 2010.
- Teens are now mixed in with adults on the SL Forums.
- Search for “Teen” in Search box (top right of SL Forums) for the latest posts.
- You can private message each other in the profile section.
Thats all for now and Linden Lab will be adding new features in the coming weeks to make SL resident experience better online.
Sl Pro! opens in 4 days!
SL Pro starts on Tuesday 23rd February and will end on Thursday 25th February 2010. Registrations to SL Pro will end on Monday 21st February so hurry if you want to sign up. SL Pro invites scripers and builders to the conference to improve skills and SL businesses in Second Life. Check out the Shedule here and hopefully there will be LIVE video streams of the conference to broadcast to the rest of the SL community.
The conference opens with a keynote from T Linden at 9AM Tuesday, Feb. 23 giving an overview of Linden Lab’s strategy and goals for 2010 and providing a sneak preview into some of the coming developments that will enable new levels of expression and creativity in Second Life.
Other confirmed speakers include AM Radio, Babbage Linden, Catherine Omega, CJ Carnot, Kim Anubis, Pink Linden, Seifert Surface, Stella Costello, and You… if you submit a proposal for SL Pro!
I always find these keynotes really interesting because of the sneak previews and upcoming developments in Second Life. There are also some well known confirmed speakers and I would love to hear what they have to say at SL Pro conference 2010.
I will post more updates in the coming days.
A new link appeared today on the Second Life Dashboard offering a download SL 2.0 link to the beta-viewer. If you clicked on the link, it takes you to a page with 404 error meaning “the requested page was not found on this server”.
As we already know there has been no official launch confirmation of Second Life 2.0 Public Beta yet. What we do know is that Linden Lab plans to release the public beta 2.0 viewer late February or March 2010. It’s going to be exciting when it goes out for testing/full release.
Check out my new Second Life polls page (WordPress > Poll Daddy). I will be adding new exciting polls every other week or so to receive good poll results. Every poll you will be able to see the results, make a comment and share the poll link with others.
The results can be really interesting.
A new promotional video has been created for this year’s Relay for Life 2010 in Second Life. RFL has been big in Second Life in previous years but this year will be bigger than ever before. This year there will be 40 regions compared to 36 regions last year and hopefully new records will be set. Another new video is set to be shown at the RFL Kick off Party, on 13th March 2010. As of today there are now 151 days left until Relay in Second Life 2010. Be part of the action!
Watch RFL2010 Promotional Video
- Created by Editorial Clarity & (Guest Presenter)
- Produced and Filmed by SpyVSpy Aeon
- Feb 1, 2010 — Teams registration opens!
- March 13, 2010 — Kick-off Party
- July 17-18, 2010 — Go Relay!