A new video has been uploaded this week showing new beta testing of the Oculus Rift Second Life Beta viewer filmed by Marc Weerts. The video runs for 12 minutes and 20 seconds showing the user interface. The video is a nice overview of the Oculus Rift Second Life Beta viewer.
I’m beta testing the new viewer for Second Life, by Linden Labs, which will support the Oculus Rift natively. Really exciting, to be able to actually walk around in the virtual world and feel like you are really there. They also did a good job of incorporating the UI.
Marc mentions on Facebook that it’s really cool to walk around SL with the Rift. Marc says he can’t wait for the DK2 version and what LL will do in future versions of the viewer.
It’s very exciting to see new video coverage of the Oculus Rift Second Life Beta viewer and hopefully there will be new videos soon. For the latest news, visit the Oculus Rift and Second Life Facebook page to stay updated. So far there have been 705 likes for the page and hopefully interest will grow over the coming months.
Its time to look back at InWorldz memorable events and new records set month by month during 2013. InWorldz is one of my top favourite grids to visit on a regular basis and it’s full of friendly people. InWorldz continues grow in terms of sign ups, active users and regions every month. All links and dates shown below are my blog.
- InWorldz PhysX rollout was completed grid wide on 9th January 2013
- InWorldz reached 70, 000 registered users on 25th January 2013
- New mesh enabled InWorldz beta viewer 184.108.40.206227 was released on 28th February 2013
- First ever South By Southwest Conference started on 8th March 2013
- 117 avatars was recorded during a load test on InWorldz Desert Island on 20th March 2013
- InWorldz officially turned four years old on 31st March 2013
- New video of the InWorldz Dreamshare was uploaded on YouTube on 27th April 2013
- InWorldz reached 75, 000 registered users on 3rd May 2013
- New revamped InWorldz Desert Island opened on 15th May 2013
- Nothing to report during this month
- InWorldz reached 80, 000 registered users on 20th July 2013
- Announcement of 2nd RFL season for InWorldz was made on 27th July 2013
- InWorldz Raglan Shire Beach Party 2013 on 18th August 2013
- InWorldz introduces new project called InShape on 29th September 2013
- Nothing to report during this month
- Sneak preview of Relay For Life of InWorldz 2013 on 7th November 2013
- Jim Tarber shares new InWorldz Stats on 13th November 2013
- RFL of InWorldz 2nd season sets new record on 18th November 2013
- InWorldz reached 90, 000 registered users on 24th November 2013
- Announcement of 4th InWorldz Annual Holiday Gala 2013 was made on 30th November 2013
- Christmas time at InWorldz Desert Island Welcome Area on 11th December 2013
2014 the year ahead – events to look forward to…
- InWorldz reaching the 100, 000 registered users milestone
- Elf Clan Fantasy Art Festival
- InWorldz 5th birthday celebrations
- 3rd season of Relay For Life
- 5th InWorldz Annual Holiday Gala
- More new improvements, fixes, records and more!
- Dates to be confirmed!
2013 was a fun and interesting year for InWorldz and I can’t wait to see what 2014 has ahead for the InWorldz grid. Next year will mark my 4th year on the grid of InWorldz. Woooot!!!
This is a special early post looking back at the first six months of 2013 in Second Life on what happened between January 2013 to June 2013 including Linden Lab announcements, popular SL news stories and big events that shaped 2013. All links below are from my blog posts during the first six months of 2013 and I’ll be publishing the final six months of 2013 post before the end of December 2013. Stay tuned for that. :)
I can’t believe it’s nearly christmas and 2014 already!
- Linden Lab announced the Second Life Free Starter Vehicle Pack on Amazon > 4th
- Firestorm launched a brand new homepage > 5th
- Rodvik Humble CEO of Linden Lab reached his 2nd Rezday in Second Life > 11th
- Torley Linden posted a new video tutorial on customizing your appearance > 24th
- Zen Viewer was taken off the third-party directory SL wiki page > 25th
- Linden Lab launched new Dio site > 29th
- The end of Flufee on a Meshion SL series was announced > 2nd
- Bay City Mole Day took place > 2nd
- LEA Art Festival 2013 opened > 6th
- Linden Lab announced New Email Preferences Support on SL Marketplace > 7th
- One Billion Rising event opened in Second Life > 14th
- Metaverse Week in Review revamped Sunday shows > 26th
- Linden Lab added Cocoa Project Viewer to SL Alternate Viewers SL wiki list > 27th
- New stats were released for the latest adoption of Mesh Viewers in Second Life > 28th
- Drax launched new series of The Drax Files > 1st
- 9th Anniversary of Nova Albion in Second Life took place > 17th
- BURN2 Burnal Equinox 2013 opened in Second Life > 22nd
- Resident created Second Life Google+ reached 1, 000 members > 23rd
- New stats were released on the growth of OpenSim Grids since 2009 > 31st
- Small growth in private estates in Second Life 2013 > 31st
- Linden Lab announced the new Second Life viewer communications hub user interface (CHUI) > 4th
- SL10B regions arrived to celebrate ten years of Second Life > 11th
- The official Second Life Facebook page reached 300, 000 likes/fans > 13th
- Linden Lab added Kokua Viewer to the Third Party Viewer Directory > 23rd
- Server Side Baking support started to roll out to third-party viewers > 24th
- NCI celebrated their 8th birthday in Second Life > 27th
- New records set for Fantasy Fair 2013 > 1st
- Raglan Shire 8th ArtWalk 2013 opened > 5th
- New SL concurrency graphs were release showing day and hour from May 2012 to May 2013 > 5th
- Special show was broadcasted on Designing Worlds about Server Side Baking and Materials > 13th
- Bay City celebrated it’s 5th anniversary in Second Life > 19th
- University of Arkansas offered 500$L to SL residents for filling out survey > 29th
- 1920s Berlin Project celebrated 4 years in Second Life > 30th
- Linden Lab announced changes to Project Sunshine > 30th
- Rodvik Linden visited Bay City and was featured in episode 7 of The Drax Files > 31st
- The Drax Files: Episode 7 with Rodvik Humble was aired > 3rd
- New records set for Relay For Life in Second Life during 2013 > 10th
- SL10B Press Day officially opened to SL bloggers & media > 14th
- SL10B regions officially opened to everyone > 16th
- Linden Lab published a very interesting SL10B Infographic > 21st
- Philip Rosedale had a special interview at BURN2 SL > 21st
- Second Life officially turned 10 years old > 23rd
- Linden Lab revamped the new user experience & new Social Island and Learning Island > 30th
My next special Second Life year in review 2013 post – part 2 from July 2013 to December 2013 will be published very soon.
Today Linden Lab have published a new SL video showing many big improvements that the lab has introduced during 2013. The video runs for 57 seconds showing many new features and improvements. It’s a really good video for Second Life to highlight 2013 and everyone should watch this I think. I’m sure there will be more new features to come in late 2013 and next year in 2014. I guess we will have to wait and see.
(first 10 seconds)
- in 2003, Second Life launched.
- In the last 10 years…Second Life has evolved in many ways
- And in 2013, we’re celebrating…
(after 10 seconds to 56 seconds)
- 7 big improvements…
- Better graphics & enhanced lighting
- Better performance & faster avatar loading
- New & improved welcome experience
- Streamlined chat & communication tools
- Sharing to Facebook
- Simplified shopping experience
- Virtual reality headset support, coming soon
- What will the next 10 years bring ?
What SL improvements have you liked this year and what improvements do you want to see introduced in the near future ?
The latest developments on server side baking on third party viewers. SSB renders clothing layers, avatar’s skin, tattoos, alpha from the client side to the server faster. Linden Lab are testing server side baking for official SL viewers which is due to be released hopefully within 2-4 weeks.
As of 25th April 2013
- Firestorm Viewer 220.127.116.11720 has added support for Server Side Baking
- Singularity Viewer 1.8.0 has added support for Server Side Baking
- Cool VL viewer supports Server Side Baking
- Catznip Viewer R8 has server side baking support (SSB)
- Kokua Vewer latest build includes experimental code
- Nirans Viewer 2.2.0 Alpha (2656) contains the update SSB (Server Side Baking)
More updates will be published soon. :D
Top 3 resource links that I can find for places to visit and explore on the grid of InWorldz during 2013. I hope this is a useful guide to interesting places, shops and much more in InWorldz. Today there are 1, 258 regions and that number is growing on a weekly basis. These are great ways of finding new places and new friends. The Events tab and the Map tab in Search is another good way of finding beautiful sims on the grid and new people. Favourite places to visit in InWorldz during 2013 ?
- Landmarks board on InWorldz Desert Island – Hundreds of locations to visit in the specific categories shown below. Very useful for newbies joining InWorldz today and for existing residents of InWorldz that want to explore more of the grid.
- InWorldz Places Website – Number one website at the moment for updated locations around InWorldz to check out and hangout. There are a number of categories at the top of InWorldz Places website with amazing snapshots of many places across InWorldz.
- InWorldz Freebie Stores - The most popular freebie stores are located at InWorldz Desert Island and there’s more.
Check out this InWorldz Desert Island Map of Stores which is very useful to see where each store is located on the sim. In the next month or so InWorldz Desert Island will be a major layout change. Stay updated on the latest on the InWorldz Forums. :)
Today Linden Lab announced some exciting news on the official Second Life blog about a new Communications Hub User Interface (CHUI) for the Second Life viewer. To use the new CHUI you have to download version 3.5.0 (273444) of the Second Life viewer via Release Notes.
Snapshot of (CHUI)
- Add participants to a conversation already in progress
- See all of your conversations and everyone in those conversations, using an inventory-like UI
- Quickly move your voice connection between conversations and effortlessly adjust individual volume or overall volume in a single click
- View all of your recent communications in one window (Conversation Log)
- See what was said in any conversation (Conversation Transcripts)
- Set Do Not Disturb to focus on other things and get all the communications (and inventory offers!) you missed, after you come back
- Choose from four levels of notification for each of five different kinds of incoming communication. You can set IMs from friends and IMs from non-friends to different levels of notification
- Turn sound on and off for four different events, such as inventory offers and teleport offers
- Access voice morphs more easily
- Get to chat preferences and privacy preferences directly from the Conversations window.
- Type your chats into an expanding, multiple-line box
- Select multiple users across different conversations and start a new conference with them
- Choose which conversations are in their own windows, and which should be in a tabbed window — you can have both now.
- Collapse any conversation to a single-line input with popup messages.
- See users and objects you have blocked in a new tab in the People window.
What is CHUI?
As we’ve previously blogged about, CHUI puts Second Life’s communications tools in a more flexible UI that lets you customize it for the ways you prefer to communicate inworld. You can even turn it all off when you want to build, make movies, or simply be left alone for a while.
Watch the NEW VIDEO below about the new (CHUI) by Torley Linden.
What do you think about the new Communications Hub User Interface (CHUI) in the Second Life viewer ?