There is two months to go until the opening of BURN2 Caravansary 2014 in Second Life and this week the key dates have been announced by the BURN2 team. BURN2 is a community supported event and if you are interested in participating, fill out this volunteer form. Volunteering at a big event is a great way to meet new people and ensure that everyone has a great experience.
Important Dates to remember for BURN2 Caravansary 2014:
- Applications for Juried & Plottery camps closes: 18th August 2014
- Plot Sales Close; 25th August 2014
- Building Starts: 3rd September 2014
- Building/Placement Ends: 13th October 2014
- BURN2 Opens: 18th October 2014
- BURN2 Ends: 26th October 2014
This year, we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre, wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services.
BURN2 is an extension of the Burning Man festival and community into the world of Second Life. It is an officially sanctioned Burning Man regional event, and the only virtual world event out of more than 100 real world Regional groups, and the only Regional to burn the Man!
60 days left and counting!
The application process has now closed this year’s BURN2 2014 Burnal Equinox which will take place on 28th March until 30th March 2014 in Second Life. The names were randomly drawn from a ranger hat and here are the winning builders/artists for the Burnal Equinox 2014 – Hotter than Air event 2014.
I would like to say congratulations to all the winners selected below and good luck to all of you. I really hope the event is a success and everyone will come along to enjoy it.
The winners are…
- Chic Aeon
- Cinnamon Ghoststar
- Ginger Lorakeet
- Giovanna Cerise
- Herbie Haven
- Krummis Blessed
- maddomxc Umino
- polkamatic feller
- Qwark Allen
- Rogue Desmoulins
- sirhc DeSantis
- Slatan Dryke
- St3m Resident
- veyot resident
- Yman juran
- Aurora Mycano
Poster for BURN2 2014: Burnal Equinox 2014 in Second Life
The BURN2 planning team have released a brand new press release today announcing details of the upcoming BURN2 Burnal Equinox 2014. This will be the first big BURN2 event on the event calendar this year for the BURN2 community to enjoy in Second Life. Every year it’s great fun for everyone and more visitors attend the annual BURN2 events which is always a good thing.
The BURN2 Burnal Equinox 2014 starts at 12pm SLT on 28th March through to 30th March 2014. Invite friends and enjoy the 2014 playa experience.
OPENS MARCH 28TH 12PM SLT
Join us from March 28th-30th in Second Life for a totally different playa experience!
At a time far into our future, the earth has been devastated by a multitude of scourges: harsh climate change, pollution, famine, and war. The playa is one of the last inhabitable places on earth, but toxic fumes cover the ground and rise to 100 meters. The only safe living environment is above the toxic gas at ground levels as the playa’s winds help purify the air at this altitude. Passing through this toxic ground zone is possible, but long term exposure can be fatal.
One redeeming factor of the toxin is that when it is captured, placed into a balloon and mixed with the correct proportion of playa dust, it takes on the form of a very powerful, lighter-than-air gas. A single five-meter balloon can lift thousands of pounds into the air.
The gaseous concoction has been fondly named Fairy Dust. Modern manufacturing no longer exists. Everyday items are scavenged from the remains of abandoned buildings. Humans have learned to survive by creating with their own hands. They build platforms supported by balloons filled with Fairy Dust. These floating platforms are the hosts for a new civilization above the ground. The citizens of this floating city commute by building lighter than air vehicles. They are powered by whatever means can be found and lifted into the air by balloons filled with the Fairy Dust.
Every Spring the residents of this community celebrate a renewal of life. Balloons have been the savior of this city. Residents design and decorate their lifting balloons as part of the Equinox celebration. This tradition has been carried down from their ancestors from when the earth was plentiful. They celebrate this event in hopes that the earth will renew itself. They celebrate the clean air that still exists high in the clouds. They celebrate their existence on earth, as different as it might be from their ancestors. They are ALIVE!
Become a citizen of this Playa City in the Sky and celebrate Burnal Equinox by creating a build on one of our 32x32x40 floating platforms!
This is a special early post looking back at the first six months of 2013 in Second Life on what happened between January 2013 to June 2013 including Linden Lab announcements, popular SL news stories and big events that shaped 2013. All links below are from my blog posts during the first six months of 2013 and I’ll be publishing the final six months of 2013 post before the end of December 2013. Stay tuned for that. :)
I can’t believe it’s nearly christmas and 2014 already!
- Linden Lab announced the Second Life Free Starter Vehicle Pack on Amazon > 4th
- Firestorm launched a brand new homepage > 5th
- Rodvik Humble CEO of Linden Lab reached his 2nd Rezday in Second Life > 11th
- Torley Linden posted a new video tutorial on customizing your appearance > 24th
- Zen Viewer was taken off the third-party directory SL wiki page > 25th
- Linden Lab launched new Dio site > 29th
- The end of Flufee on a Meshion SL series was announced > 2nd
- Bay City Mole Day took place > 2nd
- LEA Art Festival 2013 opened > 6th
- Linden Lab announced New Email Preferences Support on SL Marketplace > 7th
- One Billion Rising event opened in Second Life > 14th
- Metaverse Week in Review revamped Sunday shows > 26th
- Linden Lab added Cocoa Project Viewer to SL Alternate Viewers SL wiki list > 27th
- New stats were released for the latest adoption of Mesh Viewers in Second Life > 28th
- Drax launched new series of The Drax Files > 1st
- 9th Anniversary of Nova Albion in Second Life took place > 17th
- BURN2 Burnal Equinox 2013 opened in Second Life > 22nd
- Resident created Second Life Google+ reached 1, 000 members > 23rd
- New stats were released on the growth of OpenSim Grids since 2009 > 31st
- Small growth in private estates in Second Life 2013 > 31st
- Linden Lab announced the new Second Life viewer communications hub user interface (CHUI) > 4th
- SL10B regions arrived to celebrate ten years of Second Life > 11th
- The official Second Life Facebook page reached 300, 000 likes/fans > 13th
- Linden Lab added Kokua Viewer to the Third Party Viewer Directory > 23rd
- Server Side Baking support started to roll out to third-party viewers > 24th
- NCI celebrated their 8th birthday in Second Life > 27th
- New records set for Fantasy Fair 2013 > 1st
- Raglan Shire 8th ArtWalk 2013 opened > 5th
- New SL concurrency graphs were release showing day and hour from May 2012 to May 2013 > 5th
- Special show was broadcasted on Designing Worlds about Server Side Baking and Materials > 13th
- Bay City celebrated it’s 5th anniversary in Second Life > 19th
- University of Arkansas offered 500$L to SL residents for filling out survey > 29th
- 1920s Berlin Project celebrated 4 years in Second Life > 30th
- Linden Lab announced changes to Project Sunshine > 30th
- Rodvik Linden visited Bay City and was featured in episode 7 of The Drax Files > 31st
- The Drax Files: Episode 7 with Rodvik Humble was aired > 3rd
- New records set for Relay For Life in Second Life during 2013 > 10th
- SL10B Press Day officially opened to SL bloggers & media > 14th
- SL10B regions officially opened to everyone > 16th
- Linden Lab published a very interesting SL10B Infographic > 21st
- Philip Rosedale had a special interview at BURN2 SL > 21st
- Second Life officially turned 10 years old > 23rd
- Linden Lab revamped the new user experience & new Social Island and Learning Island > 30th
My next special Second Life year in review 2013 post – part 2 from July 2013 to December 2013 will be published very soon.
BURN2 Santalarity event in Second Life will be starting this year on Saturday 14th December 2013. The event starts at 10am SLT through to 10pm SLT and this year the theme is Ice Planet. The BURN2 sims have been transformed into an ice planet which is set in the future. It’s going to be great fun this year and celebrate once again on the wonderful playa.
Everyone is welcome to attend and please spread the word this week. Thanks! :)
It’s official that BURN2 SL 2013 is over for another year and wow it’s been great the past week on the playa. The last of the events finished last night and now everyone can rest for another year knowing that this year was a success. This year I managed to greet new visitors, dance around, explored artist builds and even capturing owl snapshots. We are now into the cool off phrase after the party.
The Press Day event was enjoyable and interesting again this year with many SL bloggers and SL media attending to get a sneak preview of the six regions. The grand opening was very popular and busy this year with hundreds of avatars exploring the regions. I’m glad there is still interest for the annual BURN2 event in Second Life after Linden Lab stopped funding it back in 2010. I do think more needs to done to get the word out to more people on the grid to let them know of this well known event. I think that OpenSim grids should think about hosting BURN2 event because that would be fun and interesting to see what they will come up with.
The Temple Burn
The good news is that the BURN2 regions will remain open until sometime between 11th-15th November 2013 when they will go offline. If you have not visited the sims yet then this is the last chance to do so.
The Mini-Man Burn
There was a high attendance this year around the playa this year which was good to see and the live music events rocked once again. I thought the burning of Mini-Man, The Man and The Temple were very good indeed this year and different to previous years overall. The balloon trip on greeters gate road was a fun adventure this year because of the nice views you get high up looking over everything. I did notice that lag was much better this year compared with previous ones which made the experience for me better.
NEW VIDEOS of The Man & The Temple burns filmed by Radioactive Rosca.
The owl enjoyed doing new things at BURN2 2013 this year like going on a balloon trip, eating breakfast, getting hot near during fire related events and greeting visitors above. S
^ Owl on the right of the hot air balloon touring the sims ^
^ Owl having a breakfast on the playa ^
^ Owl keeping warm by the fire ^
Thanks to all the volunteers, managers and rangers for making BURN2 2013 fantastic once again. Woooot!
What happens next ?
- Event cool off – 28th October to 3rd November 2013
- GTFO – 3rd to 7th November 2013
- Skin Burn 2013 – 9th November (9am & 6pm burns)
- Sims go offline – 11th-15th November 2013
- Then the countdown to BURN2 2014 starts
What did you think of BURN2 2013 this year ? and do you have any suggestions for next year ? Please share your views in comments. :)
There are many important events happening this weekend and other exciting events happening at BURN2 2013 in Second Life which is worth attending. The biggest events to attend is the burning of The Man and The Temple events where hundreds of SL avatars will be attending on the playa to watch the show.
Every year these are very popular events at BURN2 and it’s been a tradition since the start of Burning Man inworld way back in the early days of Second Life. It’s a fantastic experience for sure and fun one each year I think. I’m sure everyone will agree that the BURN2 team do an amazing job at running the annual event each year. :D
Mark these events and times on your calendars…
The Man 2013 burn times for Saturday 26th October 2013…
- 4am SLT
- 12pm SLT
- 8pm SLT
- Teleport SLURL > http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Burning%20Man-Elko/17/249/24
The Temple 2013 burn times for Sunday 27th October 2013...
- 4am SLT
- 12pm SLT
- 8pm SLT
Teleport SLURL > http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Burning%20Man-Opal/9/194/25
2013 Lamplighter Processions on the playa…
- 7pm SLT – On Friday 25th October 2013
- 4am, 12pm, 8pm SLT – On Saturday 26th + Sunday 27th October 2013
Teleport SLURL > http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Burning%20Man-Opal/30/173/24
- Check out the BURN2 Events Calendar for full listings.
- Which event is your favourite at BURN2 events in Second Life ?