Today is the last day for public viewing for the SL11B regions before the sims go offline next week. The breakdown of the sims will start from Sunday 6th July 2014 until mid next week. I decided to take one last trip to the sims this morning to take some snapshots of some interesting SL11B exhibits for the final time. See my SL11B blog coverage here and my SL11B snapshots.
For those that are interested in staying updated on future Second Life birthdays, join the new group called SLB Community Celebration. This group will be the new place for all SLB info and announcements. SL11B was a huge success from start to end with good coverage this year. The SL12B countdown has now started and planning for that will start in early 2015.
Remaining SL11B Timeline
- SL11B sims remain open until 6pm SLT today on Saturday 5th July 2014
- SL11B Takedown: July 6, 2014 at 12:00 am SLT – July 8, 2014 at 11:30 pm SLT
- SL11B Sims Taken Offline July 9, 2014
My last snapshots from SL11B
What are your thoughts on SL11B and what would you like to see happen for SL12B ?
Today is the last day for live performances at the SL11B Community Celebration and the 11 sims will remain open for viewing until Saturday 5th July 2014. There will be no performances during next week but this is the ideal time to explore the sims before they go offline. If you missed any of the SL11B talks during week 1, please check out the videos here of them all.
Well done to all the SL11B staff, volunteers, performers, builders and everyone else who made this year a huge success. I guess the countdown has now started for SL12B which will be held in mid-late June 2015. It will be bigger with more surprises i’m sure. What improvements/ideas would you like to see happen for SL12B ?
New SL11B blog posts worth checking out today!
Did you enjoy the SL11B live performances this year ?
One of the main attractions at SL11B community celebration is the exciting Pod Tours which guides you through all of the exhibits and gives you information about them. Yavanna Llanfair designed the two Pod Tours at SL11B and this year there are surprises along the way depending on the environment. The SL11B sims are truly awesome and I have to say that the pod tour is a good way to see everything.
There are 22 free pods with departures every 4 minutes at each station. The pod tour system is split into two separate areas which include the Western Sims and Eastern Sims. The Western sims pod tour lasts for around 38 minutes and the Eastern sims pod tour lasts for around 45 minutes so please keep that in mind. To ride a pod, click the cone at either one of the SL11B Pod Stations and enjoy the fantastic tour! :)
Firstly behind the pod stations there is a SL11B info package to grab for free giving you all the information you need including landmarks, maps, hunts and performances.
SL11B Wonderous Pod Station – SLURL
- Grab a free SL11B Teddy here
SL11B Fascinate Pod Station – SLURL
- Grab a free SL11B Cake and a free SL11B Teddy Bear here
Live pod map of SL11B
Now sit back and enjoy the ride through the incredible builds at SL11B Community Celebration. This is a great time to take photos or videos during the pod tours at the SL11B regions. There is so much to see and take in this year.
If you want to learn more about the Pod Tours, visit YavaScript pod tours at SL11B – SLURL
- Have you been on the SL11B Pod Tour yet?
- What do you think of the experience this year ?
Today marks Second Life’s official 11th birthday anniversary since the launch back on 23rd June 2003 and for the next few weeks to mark this special birthday occasion there will be grid wide parties happening. It’s time to party and celebrate 11 incredible years of Second Life. For me I’ve been around for almost 8 years and I’ve been participating in Second Life birthdays since 2007. Every year the celebrations just get better and more exciting. The SL community comes together and that’s great to be part of. *party time*
For those interested in the history of Second Life during the past 11 years then check out the History of Second Life SL wiki page. I’ve been trying to keep the page updated with new content and I hope to continue adding for years to come. Please check out my historical posts below and enjoy the 11th birthday celebrations! :)
- Historical Maps of SL Birthdays
- Second Life Birthday Stats
- Second Life Birthday Time Capsules
- Linden Lab CEO birthday keynote addresses and photos from the past
Happy 11th Birthday, Second Life!
SL11B Key Landmarks
- SL11B Welcome Area
- SL11B Main Stage
- SL11B Auditorium
- SL11B Live Stage
- SL11B DJ Stage
- SL11B Time Capsule
- SL11B Gift Area
- SL11B Pod Tour – and Linden Gifts!
Previous Second Life birthday themes and history
- SL1B - Second Life First Year Anniversary Gala
- SL2B - Giant museum displaying various large builds, pictures of SL over time
- SL3B - Hooray for diversity and Looking towards the future
- SL4B - “era” of SL
- SL5B - SL Culture
- SL6B - The Future of Virtual Worlds
- SL7B - Unexpected Collaborations
- SL8B - Magic of Second Life
- SL9B - Community – (resident run event)
- SL10B- Looking Forward. Looking Back - (resident run event)
- SL11B - The empires of the future, are the empires of the mind - (resident run event)
Come and celebrate SL11B today! :)
Welcome to my special SL11B Grand Opening Day blog coverage bringing you the latest live updates from the birthday regions.
Live updates will appear below on a regular basis with snapshots.
- 11:40am SLT: The excitement is building up with 20 minutes left to GO. To mark this special birthday occasion the raising of the flags will be held at 12:30pm SLT.
- 11:45am SLT: Here are the events for the opening day of SL11B and please check out the live performances page for more amazing events.
- 11:50am SLT: Wow, 10 minutes left to GO then the party gets underway and the grid-wide events kick-off
- 11:55am SLT: The regions are now open!
- 12pm SLT – Happy 11th Birthday, Second Life and the SL11B regions are ready for you to explore!
- 12:05pm SLT: The SL11B regions are filling up fast
- 12:10pm SLT: The live performances and live music events are now underway. Let’s celebrate Second Life’s 11th Birthday!
- 12:20pm SLT: 10 minutes until the flag rising event starts (please see map above for locations)
- 12:25pm SLT: Metaverse Week in Review LIVE is underway now - Latest news and SL11B discussions.
- 12:30pm SLT: The flags are up for SL11B, Yay!
- 12:50pm SLT: High attendance at the SL11B stages and some areas are starting to get busy/lag increasing.
- 1pm SLT: Great live music from the main venues at SL11B and there is a huge attendance this year.
- 1pm to 2pm SLT: Special live show of The Drax Files Radio Hour (Draxtor Despres/Jo Yardley) at the SL11B Auditorium.
BURN2 Conception 2014
Today at 10am SLT the BURN2 Conception event in Second Life for 2014 opens to the public. Its time to celebrate 11 years on the virtual Playa and celebrate the amazing success the event has had over the years. The theme for this year is Conception a time to celebrate beginnings, and a time to celebrate the future. The event runs through until 29th June 2014.
SL11B Community Celebration
Today at 12pm SLT the SL11B community celebration regions opens to the public and there will be huge party to celebrate 11 years of Second Life. Second Life officially turns 11 on Monday 23rd June 2014. There will be free gifts, live music, pod tours, a big SL11B hunt and 11 sims to explore. The theme for this year is “The empires of the future, are the empires of the mind” by Winston Churchill. The event runs through until 29th June 2014.
Other SL11B Grid Events
Visit the SL11B page on the Second Life Destination Guide for more SL11B celebrations across the grid.
Which event are you most looking forward to the most for SL11B ?