On Monday 14th July Linden Lab announced a new Experience Keys free game and the return of the Cornfield. Watch the new trailer video below for more information which runs for 1 minute and 27 seconds. To try out the free game at The Cornfield, download and install the updated Experience Keys project viewer. Here is the SLURL to teleport to The Cornfield.
What are Experience Keys ?
Experience Keys. These are new LSL functions and calls that make it possible to bypass the multiple permissions dialogs that you encounter with scripted objects today. Experience Keys will make it possible for users to create more immersive experiences inworld, because those interacting with the experience will be able to grant all the permissions necessary to participate just once, instead of having the experience interrupted by multiple permissions requests.
What is the Cornfield ?
For many years, the Cornfield was a region of mythological status. A region where naughty avatars were sent to think about what they had done. Rumor had it that the Cornfield was a vast starlit field, cut off from the rest of the world. It was thought to be a harmless tale told around moonlit campfires. Until now…
The Cornfield was created by Daniel Linden in the early days of Second Life built for griefers and in recent years the Linden Department of Public Works have been maintaining the region. In previous years the Cornfield region has been closed for access until now.
Here is the announcement from the lab about the Experience Keys new free game…
Recently, we kicked off the limited beta for Experience Keys. Thanks to the great applications we received, we now have enough participants for this stage of the beta, and are beginning to send out keys to those beta creators now.
We’re excited to see what creators make with this new tool! In the meantime, though, you can have some fun and get a sense for the ways Experience Keys can improve inworld content by checking out The Cornfield- a new (free) game, thematically inspired by a bit of Second Life history and created by the moles. Watch the trailer below, then grab the Experience Keys Project Viewer and go check it out for yourself – you can find a portal to The Cornfield here!
The New Cornfield Trailer
Head over and enjoy using the new Experience Keys. :)
Great news for OSgrid today, the grid reached a new milestone of 100, 000 total registered users. OSgrid is the 2nd OpenSim grid to reach the 100, 000 total user’s milestone. This is a great day for the OSgrid community and for the founders too. Wooot!!!
OSgrid is the second largest grids by land size and it’s one of the oldest OpenSim grids today that’s still active. OSgrid will be celebrating it’s 7th birthday on 26th-27th July 2014. I’ll be blogging and sharing snapshots during the birthday weekend. Stay tuned for that.
- See OSG7B Celebration Planning and Schedules page for the latest updates.
See here for my previous OSgrid blog coverage.
There are now two weeks left until Relay For Life of Second Life weekend kicks off and this year marks its big tenth anniversary. All funds go to the American Cancer Society to help fight against cancer. The theme for 2014 is A Journey of Promise and there will be more than 40 sims to explore this year. For updated news join Relay For Life Volunteers group in Second Life for free
In 2013 Relay For Life of Second Life reached a new milestone of having raised $2,000,000 since 2004 for the American Cancer Society. Over 80 countries took part in Relay For Life of Second Life. If you haven’t registered for a campsite for relay weekend, now is your chance to register your interest. :)
- See the history of RFL of SL here
- See the Total Pages here
- Join the Relay For Life Volunteers group for FREE for the latest updates
RFL of SL 2014 Event Details
- Opening Ceremony – 10am SLT on Saturday 19th July 2014
- Relay Weekend runs for 24 hours
- Closes on Sunday 20th July 2014
First preview of the 2014 RFL of SL Regions
- Official Relay For Life of Second Life Website
- Relay For Life of Second Life Wiki & History
- Relay For Life of Second Life on Facebook
More updates in the coming weeks on Relay Weekend, stay tuned for that. :)
Today is the last day for public viewing for the SL11B regions before the sims go offline next week. The breakdown of the sims will start from Sunday 6th July 2014 until mid next week. I decided to take one last trip to the sims this morning to take some snapshots of some interesting SL11B exhibits for the final time. See my SL11B blog coverage here and my SL11B snapshots.
For those that are interested in staying updated on future Second Life birthdays, join the new group called SLB Community Celebration. This group will be the new place for all SLB info and announcements. SL11B was a huge success from start to end with good coverage this year. The SL12B countdown has now started and planning for that will start in early 2015.
Remaining SL11B Timeline
- SL11B sims remain open until 6pm SLT today on Saturday 5th July 2014
- SL11B Takedown: July 6, 2014 at 12:00 am SLT – July 8, 2014 at 11:30 pm SLT
- SL11B Sims Taken Offline July 9, 2014
My last snapshots from SL11B
What are your thoughts on SL11B and what would you like to see happen for SL12B ?
Join the great teams of Relay For Life of Second Life, for 2 fun days of patriotic fundraising at Relay Goes the Fourth! This event is brought to you by Team SLE and The Tribute City Relayers! Activities include Live DJ’s, Live Performers, 7Seas Fishing, Bumper Boats, Paintball, and shopping with 100% proceeds going to Relay For Life of Second Life!
Relay Goes the Fourth will be open to the public on July 3, 2014. Please come out and fundraise with us!
Relay For Life of Second Life (RFL of SL) is an annual activity that takes place in Second Life in July each year. Volunteers form or join teams to have fun while fundraising and raise awareness from mid-March through mid-July. In July teams build campsites and walk a track that spans more than 40 virtual regions.
In 2013, Relay For Life of Second Life reached a milestone of having raised $2,000,000 since its fundraising beginning in 2004, for the American Cancer Society. Relay For Life has become an international movement in RL and in SL. In 2013 participants from over 80 countries took part in Relay For Life of Second Life.
Each new Relay season the RFL of SL volunteers choose a new theme for the following season. The chosen 2014 theme is, A Journey of Promise. Please visit the Relay For Life of Second life website to take a look at our history and accomplishments. http://relayforlifeofsecondlife.org/history-of-rfl-of-sl/
For more information please contact:
Jessii2009 Warrhol, Johannes1977 Resident , or Lanai jarrico in world
> Thursday 3rd July 2014
- Mount Rushmore – 1pm to 3pm slt – Team Relay Ravens
- Statue of Liberty NYC Area – 2pm to 3pm slt – Team Strange Journeys
- Statue of Liberty NYC Area – 3pm to 4pm slt – Live Singer Diana Pearl in support of Team ACTS
- Aircraft Carrier Area-1pm to 3pm slt – Team Mental Health Awareness
- Aircraft Carrier Area-2pm to 4pm slt – Team Spirit Walkers
- Aircraft Carrier Area-4pm to 6pm slt – Team Fairies For Hope and a Cure
- Aircraft Carrier Area – 6pm to 7pm slt – Team Tribute City Relayers & Team SLE
- Aircraft Carrier Area-7pm to 8pm slt-Team Dreaming Purple
- Aircraft Carrier Area-8pm to 10pm slt – Team Tiki Photography For Life & Team Tombstone
> Friday 4th July 2014
- Aircraft Carrier Area-10am to 12pm slt-Team Love Life Relay
- Mount Rushmore Area -1pm to 3pm slt – Team Mental Health Awareness
- Mount Rushmore Area-3pm to 5pm slt – Team Strange Journeys
- Statue of Liberty NYC Area – 4pm to 6pm slt – Team Relay Rockers
- Washington Monument Area – 6pm to 8pm slt – Gem Sunkiller
- Mount Rushmore Area – 6pm to 8pm slt – Team Mingan
- Aircraft Carrier Area – 6pm to 7pm slt – Team Tribute City Relayers & Team SLE
- Washington Monument Area – 8pm to 10pm slt – Team Tribute City Relayers & Team SLE
- Statue of Liberty & NYC Area
- Aircraft Carrier (Dock & Bumper Boats Area)
- Aircraft Carrier (Onboard Ship/7Seas Deck Area)
- Mountrushmore Paintball Area
- Washington Monument Area
This is the summer 2014 Second Life statistics blog post looking back at the past 3 months to see what’s been happening in terms of grid numbers. My last statistics blog post was made on 1st April 2014 for the spring update. These are the very latest stats for Second Life and I hope you will find that stats useful for future reference. :)
- Red means a decline
- Green means a increase
- The total number of Main Grid regions is now 26, 120 - (down from 26, 165)
- The total number of Private Estates is now 19, 080 – (down from 19, 181)
- The total number of Linden Owned is now 7, 040 - (up from 6, 979)
Since 1st April 2014 the region count has been declining still on a weekly basis but there has been some good news because there has been small increases in private estates during the past 3 months. Year to date private estate losses are now 200 which represents a decline of 1%.
In April 2014 the decline was 0.5% and I predicted that the total number of main grid regions would go under 26, 000 regions mark. I also predicted that Private Estates would most likely go under 19, 000 regions mark. Both of these predictions didn’t happen. Sadly these predictions (above) will happen at some point before the end of the summer if rates continue.
Private Estates Growth
Since 1st April 2014 there has been small peaks in positive net growth of private estates. See below!
- Net growth of 15 private estates – 6th April 2014
- Net growth of 4 private estates – 16th June 2014
- Net growth of 7 private estates – 30th June 2014
SL Daily Concurrency Levels
Since 1st April 2014 the daily concurrency levels in Second Life are reaching a maximum peak of 56, 000 (down from 62, 000) and a low peak of 30, 000 (up from 29, 000). The median and mean daily concurrency has dropped down to 42, 000 (down from 45, 000 mark).
The average daily concurrency was 44,182 on 1st July 2013 and now it’s 41,791 as of 1st July 2014.
Today there are 38,680,411 total signups for Second Life (up from 37,524,063) since the beginning.
The rate of signups on a daily basis is currently between 9, 000 to 13, 000.
Next Stats Update
My next Second Life statistics blog post will be published in October 2014.
Useful Links for real-time and historical Second Life stats can be found below…
Here is the full recording of the Firestorm Q&A session that was hosted this morning between Jessica Lyon, Oz Linden and Pete Linden. The video recording lasts for 59 minutes and 10 seconds. This meeting is a must watch for those interested in the future of Second Life. A brief summary can be found on my previous blog post about what happened.
A special recording of Designing Worlds will be happening today at 1pm SLT about maintaining Second Life and more about the new platform from the lab. The show will be recorded for those that can’t attend and the show will be available again on 14th July 2014. Special Guests: Jessica Lyon, Jo Yardley, Maxwell Graf and Pathfinder Lester.
To attend please click the SLURL.
Video uploaded by Mal Burns.