Garden of dreams is a magical place. Discover the old trees and the hidden spots to cuddle. Dance with your beloved at the pavilion of roses. Let your mind flow and chill and relax in the garden of your dreams
Linden Lab have released just issued a new press release, announcing that Patterns will cease development and that the lab will no longer be offering the game for sale. Patterns features will no longer be functional that rely on the server connections.
Linden Lab first announced Patterns back in September 2012 and it had potential for sure to be something huge. Linden Lab confirms in the press release that they are still “evaluating the future of the Patterns technology” which sounds interesting. I guess the main priority for the lab is the next generation virtual world and so far good progress has been made already. The alpha release comes out in mid-2015 with a public release expected in 2016.
Full Press Release
Recently, Linden Lab announced that we are working on an ambitious project to create the next-generation virtual world, while we continue to improve Second Life and grow Blocksworld. As we focus on these priorities, we have ceased development for Patterns, and we will be no longer offering the game for sale.
We at Linden Lab are extremely grateful for the adventurous early players who explored the Patterns genesis release. Those who purchased the Patterns genesis release will still be able to play their copies of the game, but features relying on server connections, such as world-sharing, will not be functional.
Patterns had early promise, and while Linden Lab focuses our efforts on our other offerings, we are still evaluating the future of the Patterns technology. Interested parties are welcome to contact us with proposals.
(September 2012 – October 2014)
Ebbe Altberg gave some new updates about the next generation platform that Linden Lab are currently working on during a recent interview with Designing Worlds to celebrate their 250th episode. In recent months the lab has been pretty much quiet about releasing further details until now.
- So far progress is good but it’s far from a world yet. Technologies are starting to come together.
- Four months ago significant resources and work went into the new platform.
- In three or four weeks time Linden Lab will hit it’s first internal milestone. The first milestone will be the ability to import content, script some stuff and cruise around as an avatar in that world.
- There’s a tremendous amount of technology that need to go into just doing that; just the networking, the physics, the lighting, the import pipeline, the server technology, client technology, cloud technology – so many things that we’re doing from the ground up.
- The new platform will be in the spirit of Second Life, in that idea of the user-generated content, creating spaces, places, and things within it. Then making it easy to invite people into those spaces and communicate and socialise within those spaces.
- The next milestone will be at the end of the year.
- The alpha release might be invite-only – somewhere middle of next year.
- The next platform is still so early and the lab are still negotiating on time-frames.
- Linden Lab have goals in mind for making it cross-platform including mobiles, PCs, HMDs and Oculus.
- Linden Lab are trying to create something that is a very strong evolutionary step forward over a lot of things that have been done before.
- The new platform has a long way to go to even think about naming, branding and specific target audiences.
- “don’t bank on full backwards compatibility for all content”
- “mesh is something that is very likely to be importable, we’re working on that already”
- “Scripts – we’ve said it’s going to be a completely different scripting language.”
- “We would like to make it [so] it’s easy for you to move back and forth using your identity and your Lindens, so that you can hop back and forth, and do what you do here, the place you enjoy and love, and then go over and experiment and play over there.”
- Linden Lab has a code name internally for the next platform but they don’t want that to leak out.
It’s still early days for the new platform, good progress is being made with milestones coming up before the end of 2014 and there will be official releases in 2015.
Are you excited about the next generation platform ? Please comment below! :)
At 2pm SLT today on Monday 6th October 2014 the recorded interview went live featuring Ebbe Altberg talking to Saffia Widdershins and Elrik Merlin about Second Life/the new platform.
You can watch the full interview here and for some highlights see below on the things that I found most interesting during the 250th episode of Designing Worlds. This show runs for 1 hour/38 minutes/14 seconds!
- Ebbe talks about his experiences since joining the Lab 9 months ago
- Ebbe joined the lab in February 2014
- The energy at the lab has gone up
- Wow factors: The communities, the variety, the interactions and user generated content
- Linden Lab are working improvements to avatars, clothing issues and solving bugs
- Second Life will be around for a very long time
- Feedback for Second Life will be made easier soon
- SL JIRA is back and it’s being monitored
- Linden Lab are working on Group Chat lag
- New projects rolling out within a month or so
- Second Names is high up on the list and no details on time-frame
- Linden Lab working on improving the meeting experience
New planned platform
- Progress is good, technologies starting to come together, working in a different way, about 4 months in
- 3 or so weeks away from reaching a milestone – 1st milestone will be the ability to import content
- Next milestone will be before the end of the year
- Alpha phrase will around mid 2015
- Ebbe is happy with the Test World – early stages
- It’s going to be a fun ride
- Ebbe has played with SL Go and thinks its a good experience
- It’s a great solution
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 3, 2014
2014 Second Life Christmas Expo & Winter Breedable’s Fair Registration
Registration for the 2014 Second Life Christmas Expo & Winter Breedable’s Fair is now open! The following link is the registration page for the 2014 Second Life Christmas Expo:http://slchristmasexpo.wordpress.com/shop-registration/. To register for the 2014 Winter Breedables Fair, please visit the following link: http://slbreedables.com/shop-registration/. Both the expo and fair have a variety of merchant and non merchant sponsorships. You can view these sponsorships at the following link: http://slchristmasexpo.wordpress.com/expo-sponsors/
The fourth annual Second Life Christmas Expo & Winter Breedable’s Fair will be held on December 4 to 15, 2014 and is a mega event that raises funds for Relay For Life of Second Life (RFL of SL). 100% of registration fees, sponsorship fees, kiosk donations, hunt, raffle, auction, and vendor donation items are paid to Relay For Life of Second Life. Relay For Life of Second Life is part of the American Cancer Society and is a virtual version of the real life Relay For Life. You can find more information about RFL of SL here: http://relayforlifeofsecondlife.org/ .
The 2014 Second Life Christmas Expo and Winter Breedable Fair will consist of both holiday and non holiday items from some of the best creators and designers in Second Life, spread across 8 sims! The Winter Breedable Fair will feature a special one of a kind (OOAK) breedables auction. Both the Expo and Fair will feature special events, including live performances, djs, the Holiday of Hope Ball, Hunt For the Bells, Naughty Or Nice, a Christmas Tree Lot, Ornament Auctions, and of course photos with Santa!
The 2014 Second Life Christmas Expo and Winter Breedable Fair Coordinator will be Dawnbeam Dreamscape. Jessii2009 Warrhol will be the 2014 Second Life Christmas Expo & Winter Breedables Fair Co-Coordinator.
About Relay For Life of Second Life:
Relay For Life of Second Life is an annual activity that takes place in Second Life in July each year. Volunteers form or join teams to have fun while fundraising and raising awareness from mid-March through mid-July. In July teams build campsites and walk a track, just like a Real World Relay. Since 2005, Relay For Life of Second Life has raised over $2.25 million USD for the American Cancer Society. In 2013, Relay For Life of Second Life has raised over $390,000 for the American Cancer Society. Relay For Life has become an international movement in RL and SL. In 2011 participants from over 80 countries took part in Relay For Life of Second Life.
About the American Cancer Society:
For more than 100 years, the American Cancer Society (ACS) has worked relentlessly to save lives and create a world with less cancer and more birthdays. Together with millions of our supporters worldwide, we help people stay well, help people get well, find cures, and fight back against cancer.
For More Information:
October 2014 Events Upcoming
- The Spooktacular Halloween Gatcha event – 1st to 31st October
- Candy Fair – 3rd to 17th October
- Fantasy Collective – Ends on 13th October
- A Clockwork Spiral - Ends on 15th October
- My Slink Obsession – 5th to 22nd October
- Cosmetic Fair Halloween – 15th to 31st October
- BURN2 Caravansary 2014 – 18th to 26th October
Grid Wide Hunts Happening In October 2014
Keep Track of Second Life Events
- Second Life Events via Facebook
- Official Second Life Events
- Featured Events
- Major Events Within Second Life
- Second Life Event Calendar
- SL Events
Do you know of any other events happening in Second Life during October 2014 ? Please comment below and spread the word!
To celebrate 250 episodes of Designing Worlds in Second Life Ebbe Altberg CEO of Linden Lab was interviewed by the Designing Worlds team recently. The 90 minute programme will be available to watch from 2pm SLT on Monday 6th October 2014. The show has been recorded and it was filmed on the island of Matanzas. The new trailer (above) runs for 2 minutes and 34 seconds!
The episode will be available below next week on these links below!
- Treet.TV > http://treet.tv/shows/designingworlds
- SLArtist.com > http://www.slartist.com/browse-dw-videos-1-date.html
- AviewTV.com > http://aviewtv.com/category/designing-worlds
I’m looking forward to watching the episode next week to hear about what’s upcoming for Second Life and hopefully we will hear new details about the new platform that the lab are working on. I’ll blog about this next week so stay tuned for that!