Category Archives: SL Summary
It’s grand opening day!
BURN2 Caravansary 2014 opens officially today at 12pm SLT/PDT in Second Life through until Sunday 28th October at 11:30pm SLT/PDT. This year it’s going to be the best ever and bigger than before!
The annual event will take place at the Burning Man regions in Second Life as usual and again it’s resident community supported for the 4th year running. As many know BURN2 is an extension of the Burning Man festival in real life and it’s all virtual in Second Life. This year there will be a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland with many exciting places to explore and discover. There will be live performances, live shows, lamplighters, rangers, greeters, fire and much more.
- BURN2 2014 Official Page
- BURN2 2014 Event Calendar
- BURN2 2014 Flickr
- BURN2 2014 Facebook
- BURN2 2014 Twitter
BURN2 Caravansary Theme
This year, we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre, wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services.
Anyone may pose as ‘merchant’ here, and anyone may play a ‘customer’, but nothing in this strange emporium shall have a purchase price — no quid, no pro, no quo — no trade at all will be allowed in this ambiguous arcade. According to a rule of desert hospitality, the only thing of value in this ‘marketplace’ will be one’s interaction with a fellow being.
Our desert inn will also be a scene of luxury and cultivated ease. An apron of fine carpets will spread out beneath the shade of portals that surround a courtyard. Here, travel-wearied pilgrims may relax, inventing pastimes as they watch the whirling world go by.
Workers of great wonders will be welcome here; fakirs, dancers, sadhus, seers and potentates will throng through this performance space, like figures that adorn the fabric of a silk brocade. The sounds of finger cymbals, chimes, and music of acoustic instruments will fill the air.
By night, bathed in the lambent glow of lanterns gently swaying overhead, fire spinners will perform around the Burning Man. This year’s Man will rise directly from the desert floor and tower many stories high. Its massive torso will evoke a tiered pagoda; its ornate head will be a lamp that welcomes people home.
Bystanders become participants; participants share in the burning, spinning cacophony on the virtual Playa.
Will you be attending BURN2 Caravansary 2014 in Second Life ?
Ebbe Altberg gave some new updates about the next generation platform that Linden Lab are currently working on during a recent interview with Designing Worlds to celebrate their 250th episode. In recent months the lab has been pretty much quiet about releasing further details until now.
- So far progress is good but it’s far from a world yet. Technologies are starting to come together.
- Four months ago significant resources and work went into the new platform.
- In three or four weeks time Linden Lab will hit it’s first internal milestone. The first milestone will be the ability to import content, script some stuff and cruise around as an avatar in that world.
- There’s a tremendous amount of technology that need to go into just doing that; just the networking, the physics, the lighting, the import pipeline, the server technology, client technology, cloud technology – so many things that we’re doing from the ground up.
- The new platform will be in the spirit of Second Life, in that idea of the user-generated content, creating spaces, places, and things within it. Then making it easy to invite people into those spaces and communicate and socialise within those spaces.
- The next milestone will be at the end of the year.
- The alpha release might be invite-only – somewhere middle of next year.
- The next platform is still so early and the lab are still negotiating on time-frames.
- Linden Lab have goals in mind for making it cross-platform including mobiles, PCs, HMDs and Oculus.
- Linden Lab are trying to create something that is a very strong evolutionary step forward over a lot of things that have been done before.
- The new platform has a long way to go to even think about naming, branding and specific target audiences.
- “don’t bank on full backwards compatibility for all content”
- “mesh is something that is very likely to be importable, we’re working on that already”
- “Scripts – we’ve said it’s going to be a completely different scripting language.”
- “We would like to make it [so] it’s easy for you to move back and forth using your identity and your Lindens, so that you can hop back and forth, and do what you do here, the place you enjoy and love, and then go over and experiment and play over there.”
- Linden Lab has a code name internally for the next platform but they don’t want that to leak out.
It’s still early days for the new platform, good progress is being made with milestones coming up before the end of 2014 and there will be official releases in 2015.
Are you excited about the next generation platform ? Please comment below! :)
On Sunday 31st August 2014 RFL of SL Wrap Up celebrations took place between 10am SLT to 1pm SLT. The attendance was even bigger this year than in previous years (45+ avatars). During the first hour many announcements and stats were released to the crowd by the core RFL of SL team. Following the first hour there was live music to celebrate the awesome success of the 2014 RFL of SL season.
- $415,422 total raised for RFL of SL 2014 season
- 2014 Relay Wrap Up Awards Winners
- 2014 RFL of SL Feedback
I was really happy and surprised to receive the 2014 RFL of SL COMMUNITY CHAMPION AWARD. Thanks so much and it means alot. :)
I found it most interesting this year from start to end of the 2014 season and I can’t wait for 2015 RFL of SL season to start.
Relay For Life 2015 Season
- Theme: The Future is Now
- Kick-off Date: 7th March 2015 through to August 2015
- Relay Weekend: 18th-19th July 2015
The countdown has started for RFL of SL 2015 season. Wooooot!!!!
Today at 10am SLT on Sunday 31st August 2014 RFL of SL will be hosting its Wrap Up Party celebrations and you are invited to come along to celebrate the successful RFL of SL 2014 season. T1 Radio will be broadcasting live during the ceremony and hopefully there will be video coverage of this event too. It’s recommended to arrive early to have access to the sims. Don’t miss this! :)
RFL of SL 2014 Wrap Up Party Schedule
10amSLT – Nikki, Sting, Dawn and Random close out the A-W-E-S-O-M-E 2014 Season and the announcements will include the following below:
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Updated Fundraising Club Awards
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Fun and Spontaneous Awards
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Convio Final Awards
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Spirit Awards
- 2015 Relay For Life of Second Life Information and Announcements
- And More!
11:30am SLT – Max Kleene takes the stage. Streaming from Niagra Falls, Canada, Max sings Rock/Pop/Alternative solo acoustic tunes covering old classics to fun, newer hip stuff.
12:30PM SLT – T1 Radio takes back over the airwaves as we bring to a close the 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Season
Come along and invite friends to join the celebrations today. Spread the word! :)
On Saturday 23rd August the 3rd season kicked off to mark the start of the 2014 Relay For Life of InWorldz. The theme for this year is A Future Without Cancer and apparently the Relay For Life of InWorldz website is being rebuilt at the moment. Over $325,000 izzies has been raised so far during this 3rd season of Relay For Life of InWorldz.
The main Relay event for the 3rd season starts at 9am PDT until 9pm PDT on Saturday 1st November 2014. More details will be released soon.
If you are interested in sponsoring Relay For Life of InWorldz 2014, contact Hairy Thor for more details.
The new home for Relay For Life of InWorldz is now located over at Muse Island.
The Relay For Life of InWorldz team are very grateful for everyone’s support and contributions so far in 2014!
Avination grid will be celebrating it;s fourth birthday from Friday 12th September until Sunday 14th September 2014. There will be live entertainment, live DJs and much more. Visit the AVN4B sims on the Map to see the amazing exhibits and enjoy with friends.
See the full event schedule and lineup below for AVN4B.
Friday 12th September
- 10am – 12pm DJane Kirsten (Gothicbunker Aachen) – Warmup with Gothic and Hardrock
- 12pm – 1pm Digital Deception – live
- 1pm – 2pm Pingout Duffield – live country, rock and pop music
- 2pm – 3pm Nance Brody – live
Saturday 13th September
- 8am – 10am Fashion show at AVN4B – new and unusual styles for modern people
- 10am – 11am Babba Ballyhoo – live – unusual and unique, Cologne Folk Music
- 11am – 12pm AriangelS – live
- 12pm – 1pm DJane Florchen – live – charts, mixed and pop
- 1pm – 2pm DJane Melanie – live – Progressive House, Trance
- 2pm – 3pm Torben Asp – live – unique fusion of electronic music and lights…
Sunday 14th September
- 11am – 1pm DJane Kirsten – live – charts
- 1pm – 2pm Dubliners – live show
- 2pm – open end DJ Menny Italian – music mix
Grid Stats as of 22nd August 2014
- Total users: 71, 889
- Unique last 30 days: 2, 135
- Total regions: 665
- Online users: 50
The Firestorm team have released a new version 188.8.131.52398 with tons of new features, updates and bug fixes on Sunday 17th August 2014. There’s alot going on under the hood in this latest release of Firestorm and it’s recommended that everyone should do a clean install. This is a must upgrade for Mac users because the 64bit version is here!
Firestorm Blocking Update
- Version 4.5.1 beta will be blocked in the coming weeks
- If you are on Version 4.5.1 update now
- Version 4.4.2 will continue for Mac users until all the major Cocoa Mac bugs have been resolved
Here are some of the new features and updates in 4.6.7:
- Faster scene rendering speeds (Project Interesting)
- The arrival of Mac 64-bit version (beta release)
- Displays the latest news from the Second Life Grid Status Report page in chat
- New Google Breakpad updates now integrated into the viewer
- The Help menu now has the Firestorm Classes Schedule added
- A new option has been added to Preferences > Chat > Keyword Alerts
- Distant avatars now animate at the correct speed when avatar imposters are disabled
- Snapshot upload to Flickr has been fixed
- New Radar functions
- Mac Cocoa bug fixed
- And much more!
For a complete list of changes and updates, visit the change log page.