Category Archives: SL Cool Stuff
This year Relay For Life of Second Life wrap up party will be held on Sunday 31st August 2014 at 10am SLT and everyone is welcome to celebrate the success of the 2014 season of Relay For Life of Second Life.
The wrap up party 2014 will include awards, live music and dancing to celebrate 10 amazing years of the event.
After everyone gets some much deserved rest, we come together one last time to recognize each other for a job well done. Here, we celebrate our success for the year, hand out various awards to teams and participants, and reveal some early news about the next Relay season.
Save the date and spread the word!
The Firestorm team have released a new version 22.214.171.124398 with tons of new features, updates and bug fixes on Sunday 17th August 2014. There’s alot going on under the hood in this latest release of Firestorm and it’s recommended that everyone should do a clean install. This is a must upgrade for Mac users because the 64bit version is here!
Firestorm Blocking Update
- Version 4.5.1 beta will be blocked in the coming weeks
- If you are on Version 4.5.1 update now
- Version 4.4.2 will continue for Mac users until all the major Cocoa Mac bugs have been resolved
Here are some of the new features and updates in 4.6.7:
- Faster scene rendering speeds (Project Interesting)
- The arrival of Mac 64-bit version (beta release)
- Displays the latest news from the Second Life Grid Status Report page in chat
- New Google Breakpad updates now integrated into the viewer
- The Help menu now has the Firestorm Classes Schedule added
- A new option has been added to Preferences > Chat > Keyword Alerts
- Distant avatars now animate at the correct speed when avatar imposters are disabled
- Snapshot upload to Flickr has been fixed
- New Radar functions
- Mac Cocoa bug fixed
- And much more!
For a complete list of changes and updates, visit the change log page.
There is two months to go until the opening of BURN2 Caravansary 2014 in Second Life and this week the key dates have been announced by the BURN2 team. BURN2 is a community supported event and if you are interested in participating, fill out this volunteer form. Volunteering at a big event is a great way to meet new people and ensure that everyone has a great experience.
Important Dates to remember for BURN2 Caravansary 2014:
- Applications for Juried & Plottery camps closes: 18th August 2014
- Plot Sales Close; 25th August 2014
- Building Starts: 3rd September 2014
- Building/Placement Ends: 13th October 2014
- BURN2 Opens: 18th October 2014
- BURN2 Ends: 26th October 2014
This year, we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre, wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services.
BURN2 is an extension of the Burning Man festival and community into the world of Second Life. It is an officially sanctioned Burning Man regional event, and the only virtual world event out of more than 100 real world Regional groups, and the only Regional to burn the Man!
60 days left and counting!
This week on show #32 Maria Korolov from Hypergrid Business talks about virtual worlds and OpenSim from a recorded interview back in March 2014. It’s a really interesting interview between Drax and Maria covering different aspects of OpenSim.
If you are thinking about joining OpenSim then this interview is worth listening to from start to finish. The interview runs for 29 minutes and 38 seconds. There is mentions of IBM, Second Life, OpenSim, Linden Lab and virtual worlds in general.
The Drax Files radio hour with Drax and Jo is a weekly production of basicdrax entertainment. If you have suggestions for future shows contact the show either at skype draxfiles, avatar draxfiles or email email@example.com
A new episode of The Drax Files series is in the works and show #33 will be available next Friday. For previous radio hour shows from Drax and Jo see here.
Linden Lab has revamped the Second Life viewer login screen this week to make it more simple and cleaner for new users apparently. To see the new changes download and install the latest release via the Second Life Release/126.96.36.1992660 release notes page.
From a glance the login area has been moved to the top of the screen with three new login buttons to enter Second Life. The login area has been enlarged with a new look and its more welcoming than before in previous releases of the Second Life viewer. The showcase area below is still the same as before and the logging in process is still the same.
What do you think of the new login screen ?
This year InWorldz will be hosting its third annual Relay For Life season and the theme for 2014 is “A Future Without Cancer”. Hopefully this year there will be more visitors attending and I think there will be more interest during the 2014 season. Here are the latest updates from the RFL of IW 2014 planning committee…
Important Dates for RFL of IW 2014
- Kick Off will be held on Saturday 23rd August 2014 starting at 9am PDT
- Relay Weekend will be held on Saturday 1st November to Sunday 2nd November 2014
Team Registration Now Open
- Register your Relay For Life of InWorldz team, fill out this form
- Once submitted you will receive email confirmation and you will get a assigned mentor
- Captains of the registered teams will be contacted in the coming weeks
- “Raven Dulce of InStylez will be hosting a week of fashion events for “Fashion For Life” from 20th September until the 27th September 2014.
- “Jillian Quintessa will be hosting the “Job and Services Fair” in early October”.
New Location For Meetings
- Next meeting is planned for Sunday 10th August 2014 starting at 9am PDT at Muse Island
- Everyone to welcome to attend the meeting
- Join the Relay For Life Volunteers group for the latest updates
About Relay For Life of InWorldz:
Relay For Life® is the signature fundraiser of the American Cancer Society®. Relay For Life of InWorldz is an opportunity to get together with family and friends and ~Celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer ~Remember loved ones lost to the disease ~Fight Back against a disease that takes too much
Starting at 6pm SLT tonight The Pen will be proudly presenting Espresso Yourself Night in the Bay City Mashpee region in Second Life. This is a great chance to go on stage and share cool stuff with the rest of the grid. This event will be text and voice with everyone welcome to attend. This event is hosted every first Tuesday of the month.
- Tell a joke
- Share your poetry
- Read a chapter from your favourite book
- Sing a song
Our main stock in trade: Read a poem. Poetry is always encouraged at the pen. Share one of your own, or one by someone else. Read it on voice or type it out. You can even pre-record some sound files if you want to get really inventive.
Share a favorite story. Could be something you’ve experienced that you want to share. Could be a story out of a book that makes you think or that you just enjoy. Maybe it’s a story of your own, too, that you wish to share. All is encouraged.
3. CAFFÉ AU LAIT
Share a picture of something you’ve built recently – or something you’ve built in the past – tell us about it, what were the challenges? What was fun? Share the experience.
4. CAFFÉ AMERICANO
Free Advice. Tell Linden Lab how to fix Second Life, or tell us how to use it! This is soapbox time! Rant, rave, share.
5, CAFFÉ MOCHA
I read the news today: tell us something you read in the newspaper/saw on the telly/spotted online that caught your eye. Tell us what’s going on!
5. CAFFÉ MACCHIATO
Random beauty! Show us a photo of something that caught your eye. Share something of beauty and tell us about it. Maybe it’s a pretty thing from your first life, or maybe it’s a gorgeous place in here.
6. CAFFÉ CORRETTO
Surprise us: hand puppets,. juggling, wacky gags, etc.! Do something different, weird, and wild. Delight the audience by going outside the box.
Talent not required and no mimes.
Come and have fun tonight from 6pm-8pm SLT.
The Pen is located here