Category Archives: SL Announcements
On Sunday 31st August 2014 RFL of SL Wrap Up celebrations took place between 10am SLT to 1pm SLT. The attendance was even bigger this year than in previous years (45+ avatars). During the first hour many announcements and stats were released to the crowd by the core RFL of SL team. Following the first hour there was live music to celebrate the awesome success of the 2014 RFL of SL season.
- $415,422 total raised for RFL of SL 2014 season
- 2014 Relay Wrap Up Awards Winners
- 2014 RFL of SL Feedback
I was really happy and surprised to receive the 2014 RFL of SL COMMUNITY CHAMPION AWARD. Thanks so much and it means alot. :)
I found it most interesting this year from start to end of the 2014 season and I can’t wait for 2015 RFL of SL season to start.
Relay For Life 2015 Season
- Theme: The Future is Now
- Kick-off Date: 7th March 2015 through to August 2015
- Relay Weekend: 18th-19th July 2015
The countdown has started for RFL of SL 2015 season. Wooooot!!!!
Today at 10am SLT on Sunday 31st August 2014 RFL of SL will be hosting its Wrap Up Party celebrations and you are invited to come along to celebrate the successful RFL of SL 2014 season. T1 Radio will be broadcasting live during the ceremony and hopefully there will be video coverage of this event too. It’s recommended to arrive early to have access to the sims. Don’t miss this! :)
RFL of SL 2014 Wrap Up Party Schedule
10amSLT – Nikki, Sting, Dawn and Random close out the A-W-E-S-O-M-E 2014 Season and the announcements will include the following below:
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Updated Fundraising Club Awards
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Fun and Spontaneous Awards
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Convio Final Awards
- 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Spirit Awards
- 2015 Relay For Life of Second Life Information and Announcements
- And More!
11:30am SLT – Max Kleene takes the stage. Streaming from Niagra Falls, Canada, Max sings Rock/Pop/Alternative solo acoustic tunes covering old classics to fun, newer hip stuff.
12:30PM SLT – T1 Radio takes back over the airwaves as we bring to a close the 2014 Relay For Life of Second Life Season
Come along and invite friends to join the celebrations today. Spread the word! :)
On Thursday 28th August Ebbe Altberg CEO of Linden Lab on Twitter confirmed that official Oculus Rift DK2 support is coming along. There’s still no details yet on when the first implementation will be and I would predict that the public Oculus Viewer will be released in early-mid 2015. Also this week Ebbe Altberg via Twitter said that “SL going to get better and keep going for a long time“. Yay!
Check out David Rowe’s CtrlAltStudio Preliminary Rift DK2 Support viewer released on the 19th of August 2014.
I know some people are very anxious to try their DK2s in Second Life / OpenSim so I’ve released this alpha with some very preliminary DK2 support.
More coverage of Oculus Rift DK2
The Drax Files Radio Hour: Show #34: Is SL VR?
The Steering committee has narrowed down the theme nominations to a final four and it’s time to cast your votes for the upcoming theme for 2015 Relay For Life of Second Life. Voting ends at 10pm SLT on Saturday 30th August 2014. The theme for 2015 will be announced at the Wrap Up Party at 10am SLT on Sunday 31st August 2014.
Cast your Vote Here
- UNITED FOR A CURE Represents the unified effort in SL as one team with many parts working together in the fight against cancer.
- RELAY GOES TO THE MOVIES Allows us the opportunity to build the theme around fun, creativity, and imagination. Campsites and teams can build experiences that represent their favorite movies in cinema.
- FESTIVAL OF TEAMS Allows the opportunity to show the “one team” spirit while giving each team a chance to celebrate what is special about them. Also allows campsite themes to be built to honor various festivals around the world.
- THE FUTURE IS NOW Demonstrates the forward movement of our Relay event. Following our 10th year anniversary (where we spent much time looking back), this theme would allow us to turn our heads to the present and celebrate great accomplishments in the fight against cancer. Also allows campsite themes to showcase our vision of hope and what the future holds for society.
Which 2015 RFL of SL theme are you voting for ?
Press Release: OpenSimulator Conference Announces High Fidelity CEO Philip Rosedale as Keynote Speaker
August 28th, 2014
The OpenSimulator Community Conference is pleased to announce Philip Rosedale, Founder and CEO of High Fidelity, Inc. will be a keynote speaker at the second annual OpenSimulator Community Conference, scheduled to take place virtually on November 8-9, 2014 in a virtual conference center designed for the event.
Mr. Rosedale’s keynote presentation will address the question, “What is the Metaverse?” and discuss the opportunity to develop an open platform for virtual reality over the internet, including new hardware devices that catalyze entirely new kinds of interactions between avatars.
In 1995, Philip Rosedale created an innovative Internet video conferencing product (called “FreeVue”), which was later acquired by RealNetworks where in 1996 he went on to become Vice President and CTO. In 1999, Rosedale left RealNetworks, founded Linden Lab and built a virtual civilization called Second Life, fulfilling his lifelong dream of creating an open-ended, Internet-connected virtual world.
Since leaving Second Life in 2010, Rosedale has worked on several experiments in distributed work and computing, including Coffee & Power and Worklist.net. In 2013, he co-founded High Fidelity Inc. to explore the future of a next-generation virtual reality system.
“Philip Rosedale is one of the foremost thinkers about virtual reality and the Metaverse today,” said conference chair Chris Collins. “We look forward to hearing his thoughts on the next generation of open Metaverse platforms, including OpenSimulator.”
The OpenSimulator Community Conference is an annual conference that focuses on the developer and user community surrounding the OpenSimulator software, an open-source platform that supports the creation of collaborative, immersive, distributed and social 3D virtual environments.
Organized as a joint production by AvaCon, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to the growth of the metaverse, and the Overte Foundation, which manages code contributions for the OpenSimulator platform, the virtual conference features two days of presentations, workshops, keynote sessions, and social events across diverse sectors of the OpenSimulator user base. Last year the first annual conference was attended virtually by 300 avatars, with thousands of viewers on the conference live video streams.
Registration for the virtual OpenSimulator Community Conference is free and opens on September 15, 2014. The conference will also be livestreamed through UStream.
For more information please see the conference website at http://conference.opensimulator.org.
OpenSimulator is an open-source platform that supports the creation of collaborative, immersive, distributed and social 3D virtual environments over the Internet. OpenSimulator software is now the basis for the emerging metaverse of many “grids” or worlds of varying sizes and purposes. http://opensimulator.org
AvaCon, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the growth, enhancement, and development of the metaverse, virtual worlds, augmented reality, and 3D immersive and virtual spaces. AvaCon holds conventions and meetings to promote educational and scientific inquiry into these spaces, and to support organized fan activities, including performances, lectures, art, music, machinima, and much more. AvaCon’s primary goal is to connect and support the diverse communities and practitioners involved in co-creating and using virtual worlds, and to educate the public and their constituents about the emerging ecosystem of technologies broadly known as the metaverse. http://avacon.org
The Overte Foundation is a non-profit organization that manages contribution agreements for the OpenSimulator project. In the future, it will also act to promote and support both OpenSimulator and the wider open-source 3D virtual environment ecosystem. http://www.overte.org/
High Fidelity, Inc. powers inter-connected virtual worlds, using new hardware devices to catalyze entirely new kinds of interactions between avatars. Our open source software architecture enables unlimited scalability of both content and audience. http://highfidelity.io
Chris Collins, Vice President
c/o OpenSimulator Community Conference 2014
275 Winthrop Street
PO Box 618
Rehoboth, MA 02769-1819
Hashtags: #OSCC14 #OSCC #opensim
On Saturday 23rd August the 3rd season kicked off to mark the start of the 2014 Relay For Life of InWorldz. The theme for this year is A Future Without Cancer and apparently the Relay For Life of InWorldz website is being rebuilt at the moment. Over $325,000 izzies has been raised so far during this 3rd season of Relay For Life of InWorldz.
The main Relay event for the 3rd season starts at 9am PDT until 9pm PDT on Saturday 1st November 2014. More details will be released soon.
If you are interested in sponsoring Relay For Life of InWorldz 2014, contact Hairy Thor for more details.
The new home for Relay For Life of InWorldz is now located over at Muse Island.
The Relay For Life of InWorldz team are very grateful for everyone’s support and contributions so far in 2014!
Avination grid will be celebrating it;s fourth birthday from Friday 12th September until Sunday 14th September 2014. There will be live entertainment, live DJs and much more. Visit the AVN4B sims on the Map to see the amazing exhibits and enjoy with friends.
See the full event schedule and lineup below for AVN4B.
Friday 12th September
- 10am – 12pm DJane Kirsten (Gothicbunker Aachen) – Warmup with Gothic and Hardrock
- 12pm – 1pm Digital Deception – live
- 1pm – 2pm Pingout Duffield – live country, rock and pop music
- 2pm – 3pm Nance Brody – live
Saturday 13th September
- 8am – 10am Fashion show at AVN4B – new and unusual styles for modern people
- 10am – 11am Babba Ballyhoo – live – unusual and unique, Cologne Folk Music
- 11am – 12pm AriangelS – live
- 12pm – 1pm DJane Florchen – live – charts, mixed and pop
- 1pm – 2pm DJane Melanie – live – Progressive House, Trance
- 2pm – 3pm Torben Asp – live – unique fusion of electronic music and lights…
Sunday 14th September
- 11am – 1pm DJane Kirsten – live – charts
- 1pm – 2pm Dubliners – live show
- 2pm – open end DJ Menny Italian – music mix
Grid Stats as of 22nd August 2014
- Total users: 71, 889
- Unique last 30 days: 2, 135
- Total regions: 665
- Online users: 50