Category Archives: Second Life Stats
If you have any theme suggestions for 2015 Relay For Life of Second Life season, fill out this form and submit them. Apparently theme suggestions will be narrowed down and put to a vote this weekend. Hurry!
The 2015 theme announcement will be made at the 2014 RFL of SL Wrap Up party on Sunday 31st August 2014. Everyone is welcome to attend the annual event and be part of Relay For Life of Second Life history. :)
History of RFL themes
- 2004 – No theme
- 2005 – No theme
- 2006 – No theme
- 2007 – Quest for a Cure
- 2008 – Heroes
- 2009 – One World, One Hope
- 2010 – Wishing on a Cure
- 2011 – Seasons of Hope
- 2012 – Time For A Cure
- 2013 – Celebrating 100 Years of Hope
- 2014 – A Journey of Promise
- 2015 – To be confirmed
Avination grid will be celebrating it;s fourth birthday from Friday 12th September until Sunday 14th September 2014. There will be live entertainment, live DJs and much more. Visit the AVN4B sims on the Map to see the amazing exhibits and enjoy with friends.
See the full event schedule and lineup below for AVN4B.
Friday 12th September
- 10am – 12pm DJane Kirsten (Gothicbunker Aachen) – Warmup with Gothic and Hardrock
- 12pm – 1pm Digital Deception – live
- 1pm – 2pm Pingout Duffield – live country, rock and pop music
- 2pm – 3pm Nance Brody – live
Saturday 13th September
- 8am – 10am Fashion show at AVN4B – new and unusual styles for modern people
- 10am – 11am Babba Ballyhoo – live – unusual and unique, Cologne Folk Music
- 11am – 12pm AriangelS – live
- 12pm – 1pm DJane Florchen – live – charts, mixed and pop
- 1pm – 2pm DJane Melanie – live – Progressive House, Trance
- 2pm – 3pm Torben Asp – live – unique fusion of electronic music and lights…
Sunday 14th September
- 11am – 1pm DJane Kirsten – live – charts
- 1pm – 2pm Dubliners – live show
- 2pm – open end DJ Menny Italian – music mix
Grid Stats as of 22nd August 2014
- Total users: 71, 889
- Unique last 30 days: 2, 135
- Total regions: 665
- Online users: 50
Linden Lab has revamped the Second Life viewer login screen this week to make it more simple and cleaner for new users apparently. To see the new changes download and install the latest release via the Second Life Release/18.104.22.1682660 release notes page.
From a glance the login area has been moved to the top of the screen with three new login buttons to enter Second Life. The login area has been enlarged with a new look and its more welcoming than before in previous releases of the Second Life viewer. The showcase area below is still the same as before and the logging in process is still the same.
What do you think of the new login screen ?
According to Tyche Shepherd’s New SL Sims in past week thread on the SLUniverse Forums (27th July), Private Estates in Second Life dropped below the 19, 000 regions mark for the first time since 15th June 2008. The total number of Main Grid regions dropped under the 26, 000 mark last week and the decline continues it seems on a weekly basis.
The Net Private Estate losses for the year to date stands at 286 regions so far which is a 1.5% loss.
As of 27th July 2014
- 25, 980 Total Main Grid regions
- 18, 988 Private Estates
- 6, 992 Linden Owned
On 5th January 2014
- 26, 227 Total Main Grid regions
- 19, 241 Private Estates
- 6, 986 Linden Owned
For more stats, visit the Second Life Grid Survey.
The closing stages are now underway of RFL of SL Relay Weekend 2014 and here are the final counts for this weekend. In 10 years of Relay in Second Life 11,594 avatars have walked 215, 366, 720 meters. These are incredible numbers and it’s really worth celebrating this major success. It’s been a great weekend and it’s been one of the best yet. The regions have been full and it’s fantastic to see there is huge support for Relay Weekend in Second Life.
Wrap Up Party
It’s been confirmed that the annual Wrap Up Party event for RFL of SL 2014 season will be held on Sunday 31st August 2014. More updates in the coming weeks!
Relay For Life of Second Life 2014 broke the fundraising record with the current total being $406,104 so far.
Updated 2014 Stats
- Avatars: 1, 365
- Laps: 2, 672
- Distance: 23, 653, 977 meters
- Minutes: 133, 600
- Course Length: 8, 853 meters
More interesting stats thanks to Dwen Dooley
- Over 3000 people in the rosters on over 190 teams
- 400 separate donations on the convio
- Rezzed 9000 regular kiosks. Rezzed 13000 vendors. In the vendors there were 24000 products.
- 280 random riot vendors, 1100 raffles, and sold 16800 raffle tickets.
- Rezzed 26249 fundraising tools in total, and that does not include the luiminaria. 5200 luminaria lit on this track.
- Since Wrap Up last August 2013 there have been 150,000 donations to RFL of SL fundraising tools
- Rezzed 400 gotya vendors
- Dual team kiosks – 2059 of them
- 623,000 lindens in dual team kiosks
Historical Stats for Relay for Life of Second Life
- More historical stats for Relay Weekend between 2005 to 2014 can be found here.
- History of RFL of SL
More snapshot of Relay Weekend 2014 can be found on my SL Flickr stream.
This week Google+ ended it’s real name policy after 3 years which is excellent news for the Second Life community and OpenSim communities. During the past 3 years Google prevented people using fake names on Google+ when signing up. In recent years there have been reports of Second Life resident Google+ accounts flagged up and suspended. Hopefully that won’t happen anymore with this new policy change and I think it’s a good move forward in the right direction.
This is the official announcement made on the official Google+ page.
When we launched Google+ over three years ago, we had a lot of restrictions on what name you could use on your profile. This helped create a community made up of real people, but it also excluded a number of people who wanted to be part of it without using their real names.
Over the years, as Google+ grew and its community became established, we steadily opened up this policy, from allowing +Page owners to use any name of their choosing to letting YouTube users bring their usernames into Google+. Today, we are taking the last step: there are no more restrictions on what name you can use.
We know you’ve been calling for this change for a while. We know that our names policy has been unclear, and this has led to some unnecessarily difficult experiences for some of our users. For this we apologize, and we hope that today’s change is a step toward making Google+ the welcoming and inclusive place that we want it to be. Thank you for expressing your opinions so passionately, and thanks for continuing to make Google+ the thoughtful community that it is.
I agree this is certainly good news for virtual worlds users in general and virtual businesses that would like a strong presence on Google+. I think in the coming months and years the Google+ communities (shown above) will grow and become more active.
- Feel free to add me on Google+ here.
This is the summer 2014 Second Life statistics blog post looking back at the past 3 months to see what’s been happening in terms of grid numbers. My last statistics blog post was made on 1st April 2014 for the spring update. These are the very latest stats for Second Life and I hope you will find that stats useful for future reference. :)
- Red means a decline
- Green means a increase
- The total number of Main Grid regions is now 26, 120 – (down from 26, 165)
- The total number of Private Estates is now 19, 080 – (down from 19, 181)
- The total number of Linden Owned is now 7, 040 – (up from 6, 979)
Since 1st April 2014 the region count has been declining still on a weekly basis but there has been some good news because there has been small increases in private estates during the past 3 months. Year to date private estate losses are now 200 which represents a decline of 1%.
In April 2014 the decline was 0.5% and I predicted that the total number of main grid regions would go under 26, 000 regions mark. I also predicted that Private Estates would most likely go under 19, 000 regions mark. Both of these predictions didn’t happen. Sadly these predictions (above) will happen at some point before the end of the summer if rates continue.
Private Estates Growth
Since 1st April 2014 there has been small peaks in positive net growth of private estates. See below!
- Net growth of 15 private estates – 6th April 2014
- Net growth of 4 private estates – 16th June 2014
- Net growth of 7 private estates – 30th June 2014
SL Daily Concurrency Levels
Since 1st April 2014 the daily concurrency levels in Second Life are reaching a maximum peak of 56, 000 (down from 62, 000) and a low peak of 30, 000 (up from 29, 000). The median and mean daily concurrency has dropped down to 42, 000 (down from 45, 000 mark).
The average daily concurrency was 44,182 on 1st July 2013 and now it’s 41,791 as of 1st July 2014.
Today there are 38,680,411 total signups for Second Life (up from 37,524,063) since the beginning.
The rate of signups on a daily basis is currently between 9, 000 to 13, 000.
Next Stats Update
My next Second Life statistics blog post will be published in October 2014.
Useful Links for real-time and historical Second Life stats can be found below…