Rod Humble officially leaves Linden Lab
SL Breaking News
Rod Humble: 11th January 2011 to mid January 2014
- Update: 4:21pm SLT – Rod Humble’s name is no longer on the Linden Lab leadership page.
- Update: 4:09pm SLT – NWN posted up a message from Rod confirming his departure.
Last week Rod Humble CEO of Linden Lab left Linden Lab after 3 years at the lab. Jo Yardley was the first to report about Rod’s departure through Facebook private message. Rod told family, friends and co-workers on his personal Facebook page. Rod Humble mentions that he wants to start up his own company that will make art, entertainment and cool stuff. More details will be announced in a few weeks.
This is very surprising news and shocking to hear about his departure. There was no big announcements about Rod leaving anywhere during the past week. It’s not known at this stage who will take over as CEO of Linden Lab but I’m sure we will know more in the coming weeks. So stay tuned.
I do think we need a CEO who has a solid understanding of Second Life and someone who is already from Second Life to take over the ship. But whatever happens it’s going to be interesting to see where Second Life/Linden Lab goes next during 2014+.
The good things that Rod did for Second Life between (2011-2013)
Rod Humble (Rodvik Linden) joined back in January 2011 at Linden Lab and since then Second Life has been improved alot since then. See the list below for all the big changes and improvements rolled out over the years….
- Teen Grid merged with Second Life main grid
- The Second Life Community Platform launched
- Basic/Advanced modes in Viewer 2
- The Social Web Profiles introduced
- Launch of Mesh
- Pathfinding alpha
- Improved Avatar and Object Streaming speeds
- CHUI Beta Viewer launched
- Materials Project Viewer launched
- Project Shining launched
Rod Humble gaming timeline so far…
- Worked on gaming since 1990
- Worked on The Sims 2 and The Sims 3
- Worked on Sony’s EverQuest
- Was the Executive vice president & head of The Sims group at ESA (2008 to 2010)
- Became CEO of Linden Lab from January 2011 to January 2014
- New company startup in 2014 planned
I wish Rod all the best for the future and I would like to personally say thanks so much for all the big improvements made to Second Life over the past 3 years. We will miss you!
Posted on January 24, 2014, in Linden Lab, LL Departures, Second Life, SL Announcements, SL Community, SL News Alert and tagged Second Life, SL Breaking News, SL News. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.