Yesterday afternoon Linden Lab posted some new Third Party Viewer policy changes on the SL Forums which will impact users that use ANY third party viewer to run Second Life. Since the announcement there has been lot’s of mixed views about the new policy change with upset and confusion in some cases.
Here are the new sections of the policy:
2.a.iii : You must not provide any feature that circumvents any privacy protection option made available through a Linden Lab viewer or any Second Life service.
2.i : You must not display any information regarding the computer system, software, or network connection of any other Second Life user.
2.j : You must not include any information regarding the computer system, software, or network connection of the user in any messages sent to other viewers, except when explicitly elected by the user of your viewer.
2.k : You must not provide any feature that alters the shared experience of the virtual world in any way not provided by or accessible to users of the latest released Linden Lab viewer.
Upcoming Phoenix office hour meeting
- Phoenix Viewer office hour on Tuesday at 2pm SLT
- (location & live stream will be announced shortly)
- Listen to this audio interview here by Oz Linden and TPV devs.
- It’s about 1 hour and 45+ minutes long!
- SLUniverse Forums - General SL community
- Phoenix Viewer Blog - Official blog post by Jessica Lyon
- Third Party Viewer Policy Changes Comments - General SL community
- Policy on Third-Party Viewers changed (TPV policy) by Your Nymph
- LL update their TPV Policy by Inara Pey
- Third-party viewer policy change: the power of veto by Tateru Nino
- SL Viewer Policy Follow Up by Nalates Urriah
- If it ain’t broke … why fix it? by Prim Perfect
- LL’s Third Party Viewer Policy changes: Screw you, developers! by Tonya Souther
- New TPV Policy Raises Innovation Concerns by Ciaran Laval
- Third Party Viewer policy change from LL puts third party viewers at risk by The Torch: SL Guide
- Buffalo Theory by Andromeda Media Group
- SL blogosphere
We’ll have to see what happens next.
What are your views about the new TPV changes ?