The New Second Life Viewer 2.0 Public Beta has arrived today after T Linden’s Keynotes at SL Pro 2010. The new beta viewer page for viewer 2.0 was released to the public just after 9:45am PST (5:45pm UK time) this morning. The 23rd of February 2010 will be a historical date for Linden Lab and SL residents with the new future generations of 2.0 etc. Great work Linden Lab!
The last few hours or so I have been testing it and here are my latest screenshots of the viewer 2.0 public beta. I have alot of mixed feelings about it so far. So far it looks very nice.
Timeline of SL Viewers
- The first client was Version 0.1.0 back in November 2002 (Closed Beta)
- The next big version was Version 0.5.0 which was released on March 31st 2003 (Open Beta)
- Version 1.0 was released on June 23rd 2003
- Viewer 2.0 Public Beta launched 23rd February 2010
There are alot of new features and menus to get used to in the new viewer 2.0 and it will take some time to get used to it all.
New Features in Viewer 2.0 Public Beta
The next generation Second Life Viewer is here! Download Viewer 2 and experience new features such as:
- Integrated Web-Based Media
- Easier, Browser-Like Navigation
- Side Panel for Frequently-Used Features
- Improved Search
The resident help groups will now have to spend time updating their SL tutorials and SL newbie resources. There have been alot of recent news about this upcoming viewer 2.0 for many months now and now its out to download there will be alot more discussions on it. Feedback will now start spreading inworld/on the internet like the SL Forums, SL Answer and on social networking sites like Plurk, Facebook and Twitter etc. It’s exciting and its going to be interesting how it developments in the coming weeks and months.
Find out More
- Viewer 2 Help
- T Linden Blog Post on Viewer 2.0 Public Beta Launches
- #SLViewer2 Tweets
- Viewer 2.0 posts via Google
Survey: Do you like the new Second Life Viewer 2.0 Public Beta ? What do you think?